This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

dependency knsrc

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ab
Registered Member

dependency knsrc

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:41 am
I know it's a duplicate of a duplicate... That the bug was reported etc. But the resolution was a fix in the KDE code. But I have the last KDE and the problem still happen, so I permit myself to open a new topic

I tried to install `Sweet Mars KDE by eliver` in `System Settings - Global Theme` but I get this error

```
Installation of /tmp/HebcyP-Sweet-Mars.tar.xz failed: Could not install dependency: 'kns://icons.knsrc/api.kde-look.org/1305251'
```

And after that a lot of Asiatic characters

What the problem could be?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: dependency knsrc

Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:22 pm
Well, you should be a tad more detailed about your setup: Which distribution, which exact Plasma version? "The latest KDE" is not precise enough as this totally depends on a lot of other factors.

FWIW: the theme installs perfectly fine on my system (specs see signature)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
simontwolf
Registered Member
OS

Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:19 am
I'm running:

KDE neon 5.24
Plasma Version 5.24.2
Plasma Frameworks Version 5.91.0
Qt Version 5.15.3
Kernel 5.13.0-30-generic (64 bit)
X11 (my board doesn't handle Wayland, nor does my old gfx card...they're 9 years old)

...on an old ASUS mobo running an as old nVidia gfx card...

This info can be found under "System Info" (it's a good idea to make a simple txt file that you can copy/paste from in case of future need tro dive into the shark tank of users who've been using Linux for a while, some - not all - have little patience, although the original reply you received was suggesting the above nicely).

The fix I've been using for missing dependencies from Global Themes is a little work, but it's fairly simple:

First, find your "metadata.desktop" (do a file search from the root [/] signifier, use the first one in the list [that's only my opinion])

I've been opening the first one and that has worked fine in all circumstances for me so far...but I'm as lost in Linux as a newbie can be
(but these forums and some people are really nice and helpful - thank whatever power I learned COBOL and BASIC back in the 70s)

Open that file in "KWrite".

Paste this: "X-KPackage-Dependencies=" and immediately after the =; paste the error code from the dialogue box e.g.: "kns://colorschemes.knsrc/api.kde-look.org/1001720" for example - this was the last error code I got, had 15 before that, you may need to do it for each theme that returns an error dialogue.

Then hit "Save".

This is not guaranteed, it's been working for me and it may help you, but to be on the uber paranoid safe side, make a .bak backup of that "metadata.desktop" ("metadata.desktop.bak" and save in another folder) file - like I said, I use the first one in the list, it seems to be the right one - and if there's a problem you can just remove the .bak suffix and overwrite the modified metadata.desktop that you changed (do the search bit again, it's probably the first one to come up);

Hope that makes sense,

regards

Wolf
simontwolf
Registered Member
OS

Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:22 am
Mamarok wrote:Well, you should be a tad more detailed about your setup: Which distribution, which exact Plasma version? "The latest KDE" is not precise enough as this totally depends on a lot of other factors.

FWIW: the theme installs perfectly fine on my system (specs see signature)

I am so JEALOUS!

I need to update my mobo and gfx like it was last century
(Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir)