This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Location of newly opened application

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ekoster
Registered Member
I hope this is the correct thread, still getting used to what is what after switching from windows.

I have the following situation I would like to change. When you launch an application it opens in a, so it seems, random location on the screen. This would be one of the corners. What I would like is that it just opens in the center but keeping the size (so not opening in fullscreen) as it opens now.

Where can I set this option? I'm sure it's a configuration somewhere.

Thanks in advance
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Right click on the Window border -> More Actions -> Configure Application-Specific Settings

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
ekoster
Registered Member
Thanks
With your help I found it only, in a different location. I wanted all applications so I eventually found 'advanced window behaviour' - ' window placement'
sebastriani
Registered Member
OS
I was going to create a new topic but I think this one might apply.

My System Setup is as follow:
- Distro: KDE Neon 5.21
- KDE Plasma Version: 5.21.5
- KDE Framwork version: 5.81.0
- Qt Version: 5.15.2
- Kernel Version: 5.4.0-72-generic
- OS Type: 64bit
- Graphics Platform: X11

My Video Hardware Setup:
- Nvidia Geforce 1050ti
- 2 Monitors, 1 to GPU DP out and the other to the HDMI out
- My primary screen is set to be the DP one

My Windows Management System Settings is as follows:
+ Under "Focus":
---> "Window activation policy" on "Focus Follows mouse"
---> "Multiscreen behaviour" both checked "Active screen follows mouse" and "Separate screen focus"
+ Under "Window Behaviour -> Advanced":
---> "Window placement" setting set to "Centered" and "Allow apps to remember the positions of their own windows, if they support it" is Unchecked

This never worked really well and some apps always end up opening on their last location, but now (and I don't know since when) something completely annoying happens.
When I have Dolphin opened on my secondary screen and I click "Properties" on the context menu for a Folder, some times it opens the properties centered on the current screen and sometimes it openes Top-left on my primary screen. It does always the same for each of the folders.
If I do the same but with Dolphin on my primary screen it does the same, so some folders always open on the Top-Left of the primary screen...

Weird...

Any hint?

Thanks!
Mamarok
Manager
OS
sebastriani wrote:I...
This never worked really well and some apps always end up opening on their last location, but now (and I don't know since when) something completely annoying happens.
When I have Dolphin opened on my secondary screen and I click "Properties" on the context menu for a Folder, some times it opens the properties centered on the current screen and sometimes it openes Top-left on my primary screen. It does always the same for each of the folders.
If I do the same but with Dolphin on my primary screen it does the same, so some folders always open on the Top-Left of the primary screen...

Not reproducible here. Why don't you just use the information panel and/or tooltip in Dolphin instead of opening the Properties? Unless you need to see the permissions (configurable to be visible in the Detailed View Mode) this would remove the necessity of opening that context...

FWIW: Did you try using the defaults settings again?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
sebastriani
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for answering,

I just set "Windown Management -> Window Behaviour" to "Default" but it's the same.

On the other hand, I don't like to have the information Pannel opened and I don't know the tooltips you are refering to but, I think those tooltips might not contain the information I was after. I was looking at the "Size" of the folder.

I know I can open a terminal and throw a "du -sh folder" to see the size, but sometimes, I'm just there in Dolphin with the mouse and the easiest thing to do is right click and select "Properties"...

Probably the problem arises because one of my monitors is hooked up to DP and the other to HDMI? And probably that's why you can't reproduce it?
You might have two monitors connected to the same type of interface, I don't know... But it keeps happening.

Anyway, besides the "Properties " window opening for some folders (and always for the same folders) top-left on my main screen instead of centered, there are applications that just absolutelty always remember they last position, despite the settings, LibreOffice for instance. So I was wandering, is it probable that this last thing I mention happens with GTK applications?

So, I'm actually talking about two different but similar things.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I have a Laptop monitor and an external monitor connected over DP, so it is indeed not the same setup.
Funny, in over 20 years of using Linux I can't recall to have checked the size of a folder recently, so our usecases are very different indeed.

FWIW: the tooltip in Dolphin shows the same information as the Information panel, so no need to activate the panel. It doesn't show the size of the folder, though
FWIW2: a very nice way to check folder sizes is filelight, which I usually keep running in the background

LandisTwo
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:... Funny, in over 20 years of using Linux I can't recall to have checked the size of a folder recently, so our usecases are very different indeed.

seriously? All The Time, Every Day. Directory Size and modified are very basic pieces of information.