This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to preserve brightness level?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
eubnara
Registered Member

How to preserve brightness level?

Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:23 pm
Hello, I'm suffering from brightness problem.

If I change power source (power adapter plugged in / out), brightness goes to 0.

However, after experiencing first changes, it doesn't happen again even though I plugged power adapter in / out multiple times.

Is there any way to preserve brightness level even though power source changes (AC <-> BAT) ?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: How to preserve brightness level?

Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:00 pm
Have a look at the System Settings -> Hardware -> Power Management

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
eubnara
Registered Member
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Well, the very first item, "Screen brightness" is the place you can act upon. You can change the settings there...

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
eubnara
Registered Member
What I want to do is not changing brightness level even though power adapter plugged in or out.

If I connect power adapter after boot, the brightness level goes almost zero and vice versa.

I don't know why this happens.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: How to preserve brightness level?

Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:05 am
well, fix the level in the settings, according to your screenshots you haven't done that

eubnara
Registered Member
If I fix the level (e.g. 70% with ac adapter, 50% with battery) and plugged out (previously charging state with power adapter), it changes 70% -> almost 0% -> 50%.
If I fix the level (e.g. 70% with ac adapter, 50% with battery) and plugged in (previously discharging state with battery), it changes 50% -> almost 0% -> 70%.

I don't want my brightness level changing even though I plugged in/out. I think there is no option like that.
And this happens only once after boot when I change the status of power plug. (plugged in -> plugged out or plugged out -> plugged in)
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Please check again, as the default brightness level for the battery is at 50%, you have to actively change it to the same level as the AC Power to avoid screen brightness change...

Of course if you leave it at 50% it will change...

If you read your own post, you would see where the problem is...

FWIW: I set the screen brightness to 90% for both the AC Power AND the Battery, no change of brightness when plugin in or out,, no change either when restarting the laptop.

eubnara
Registered Member
I think you don't understand my situation.

I found that some other users suffer from the same issue.

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=208341
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I see, well apparently this is a Kernel issue, so not KDE related.

FWIW: I can't reproduce this at all on my Tuxedo laptop, maybe this is specific to a particular brand or BIOS?

eubnara
Registered Member
I found that after "org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper" activated this symptom doesn't happen again after boot.

Nov 17 00:11:23 eub-Inspiron-5505 dbus-daemon[773]: [system] Activating service name='org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper' requested by ':1.60' (uid=1000 pid=1623 comm="/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/org_kde_powerdev") (using servicehelper)
Nov 17 00:11:23 eub-Inspiron-5505 dbus-daemon[773]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper'

eubnara
Registered Member
I think it is related to the behavior of powerdevil.
https://github.com/KDE/powerdevil

If I activate 'org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper' forcefully after boot, I may solve this problem. However, I could find a way to do that yet.