This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE launcher size customizations - how to make stick

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
nplux
Registered Member
Hello,

I like my launcher menu pretty big so I customise the FullRepresentation.qml file. Location shown below.

sudo nano /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.kickoff/contents/ui/FullRepresentation.qml

All I change are these values.

Layout.minimumWidth: units.gridUnit * 26
Layout.minimumHeight: units.gridUnit * 34

I'm posting here as every time there's an update to Plasma I lose my settings and have to customise the file again. Can I create a copy in my home folder (or something like that) to make changes stick through updates, or do I just have to keep doing the customisation every time?

Thanks for any replies.
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
Hi!
Yes, you can copy it to ~/.local/share/plasma/. You only have to track updates manually as this won't be changed automatically. For details see Plasma5 - getting started
nplux
Registered Member
koffeinfriedhof wrote:Hi!
Yes, you can copy it to ~/.local/share/plasma/. You only have to track updates manually as this won't be changed automatically. For details see Plasma5 - getting started

Thanks very much. Done I think. I now have FullRepresentation.qml copied to the following path:

Code: Select all
/home/me/.local/share/plasma/FullRepresentation.qml

Just wondering if the .local path should be this instead.

/home/me/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.kickoff/contents/ui/FullRepresentation.qml

Can I just ask what you mean about tracking updates manually.
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
You should copy the plasmoid, not just one file and make it usable as described in the link.

Manual update would say, if something in kickoff changes, like an import, the appmodel or underlying c++ code, you have to update your locally installed plasmoid with the recent changes from the «original kickoff».
nplux
Registered Member
koffeinfriedhof wrote:You should copy the plasmoid, not just one file and make it usable as described in the link.

Manual update would say, if something in kickoff changes, like an import, the appmodel or underlying c++ code, you have to update your locally installed plasmoid with the recent changes from the «original kickoff».

Ok thanks. I'll read the link as I seem to have much to learn. For example, I currently have no idea what constitutes a plasmoid, but I'm sure I'll know once I've read what's at that link.

Thanks for your help.
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
The easiest way is
mkdir -p ~/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids/
cp -r /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/

Give it a new name, e.g. put a Custom in front of the Name=, to recognize it via
vim ~/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.kickoff/metadata.desktop

Thats it.

Or create a local copy and install it with `kpackagetool5 -i ~/path/to/my/plasmoid`
nplux
Registered Member