This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Greetings, and a question

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
clh333
Registered Member

Greetings, and a question

Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:37 pm
This being my first post on this forum I would like to extend my greetings to all and to express my deep appreciation for the developers' efforts. :)

A long-time user of RedHat Fedora, I recently migrated to the KDE Plasma Desktop. Already I feel at home: I like the clean simplicity of the visual interface and the configuration options that underlie it. Which brings me to my question, about the application launcher:

When I install applications the launcher classifies them in a category: Development, Education, Office, etc. Once in a while something winds up in Lost and Found. I would like to be able to rename some of the categories, or delete / create new ones, and to reclassify (read: "move") some of the applications the AL has (somewhat arbitrarily) classified.

Is there a mechanism for doing this? Thank you for your suggestions.

-CH-
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS

Re: Greetings, and a question  Topic is solved

Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:54 am
Hello!

The categories are defined by a freedesktop-specification, independend of the desktop environment you use. See freedesktop:Desktop Entry Specification for details and freedesktop:Registered Categories for an overview. So, the short answer is: no, you can't change them (without programming).