This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

No keyboard input when creating shortcuts

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
chaski
Registered Member
Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, or been covered before. I have tried to search and troubleshoot this problem for four hours - posting is a last resort, I'm really stuck here!

New install of KDE+Manjaro, from the ISO downloaded from their website yesterday.

Only certain key presses are recorded. E.g. I can bind Esc to open Yakuake, but not ` (or many other buttons)

Any help appreciated, I'm new-ish to Linux so I apologise if this is a simple fix..
chaski
Registered Member
Further investigations with Manjaro Hardware Detection

mhwd -lh -d --urb

Output from both machines (where one works perfectly) the same (except using different USB bus etc).

Both computers 'System Settings' report:
Version 5.20.4

Libraries:
KDE Frameworks 5.76.0
Qt 5.12.2 (built against 5.15.1)
The xcb windowing system
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Shortcuts need to be assigned to either Function keys (Esc being a function key of course works) or combinations of either Alt, Meta, Shift, Ctrl or a Function key with at least another key. You can't just assign any key without combination.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
chaski
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:Shortcuts need to be assigned to either Function keys (Esc being a function key of course works) or combinations of either Alt, Meta, Shift, Ctrl or a Function key with at least another key. You can't just assign any key without combination.

I assume that the key must be a function key because in one of my systems in which I installed KDE+Manjaro, I opened the shortcut settings and changed it without problem, but the other computer it won't work.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Which key are you talking about?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
petsam
Registered Member
I have faced this issue as well, in Arch and Garuda.
I have found a workaround, or even the nominal way to do it(?).
https://forum.garudalinux.org/t/no-input-when-making-a-new-shortcut/2556/8
    1. Create a new group in Custom Shortcuts (maybe optional)
    2. Create a new custom shortcut, set the activation command and save
    3. Make sure the group is enabled
    4. Go to System shortcuts and select Custom shortcuts service
    5. This group should contain your new custom shortcut (use a unique name to make it easy recognizable)
    6. Assign a key combination as usual