This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Device Profile for Built-In Audio not applying

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ericst
Registered Member
OS
After upgrading from Kubuntu 20.04 to 20.10 the Device Profile for my Built-In audio is not applying after system restart.

My computer has two Audio controllers.
* Built-in Audio (Profile: Analog Surround 2.1 Output) "This is the set destination of Output"
* GP104 High Definition Audio Controller (Profile: Digital Stereo (HDMI 3) Output) "I don't use the HDMI output"

Sound is produced fine until the computer is restarted. After logging back in the sound either plays via HDMI or shows as disabled (red X in tray) and will not produce sound. The values are still properly set in the Settings panel and to resume normal playback I have to change the Built-in audio to any other value and then back to 2.1. It doesn't happen every restart, but more often than not. It seems similar to https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=167621&hilit=device+profile, although I don't have a problem with the device not showing. I attempted to reset pulseaudio by following the instruction in that topic, but it didn't seem to have any impact.
claydoh wrote:Try running pulseaudio -k, then delete the ~/.config/pulse and any pulse related file in the top level of your home dir. This will cause all the sound detection and configs to be recreated. You might have to run pulseaudio -k again after deleting the files.

Thanks for the help!

Operating System: Kubuntu 20.10
KDE Plasma Version: 5.19.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.74.0
Qt Version: 5.14.2
Kernel Version: 5.8.0-36-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
pulseaudio Version: 13.99.2
ericst
Registered Member
OS
Upgrade to Kubuntu 21.04 may have solved this problem. I'll monitor a few more days, then close if the problem hasn't returned.