This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Night Colour Fails After Switching Monitors

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
michela
Registered Member
OS
Hello, fellow KDE people!

The colour adjustment in Night Colour applet stops functioning whenever I switch from using my laptop's monitor to an external monitor or from the external monitor to the laptop's monitor.

This same issue has happened for me with multiple installations of KDE Plasma, different versions of Fedora KDE Spin, and on at least three different computers that I have tried it on. Interestingly, when I have tested Night Colour with a Thinkpad, the problem only happens when switching monitors. On a Dell laptop I tested Night Colour with, the problem also happens when waking up the computer from sleep mode.

Clicking on the Night Colour system tray icon to deactivate it, and then clicking it again to activate it, restores the colour temperature setting as it was before switching monitors (or going to sleep).

I just tested Redshift with the Plasma Redshift applet, and it does not have this issue. My system's colour and brightness settings are maintained across monitors and when waking from sleep when using the Redshift applet, which I am now doing.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I have searched the web and these forums, but have not seen any other reports of it.

Thank you for any help you can provide on this!

Detail on my system:
Fedora Linux 33
KDE Plasma version: 5.20.5
KDE Frameworks version: 5.78.0
Qt version: 5.15.2
michela
Registered Member
OS
I've done another search and found a bug report for the issue at https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=428854

So it is apparently a bug. I did not see any information in the bug report from the developers on when it may be resolved.

There is another discussion on this issue at https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/k ... color_bug/.

My interim solution is to install Redshift (redshift-1.12-10.fc33) and the Redshift Plasma widget (plasma-applet-redshift-control-1.0.18-9.fc33). Then disable Night Colour in the Plasma control panel and configure Redshift via the Redshift Plasma widget as desired. It is important to disable Night Colour when using Redshift to ensure the two don't clash with each other and produce unwanted or unexpected results. :)

Best,
Michela