This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

No keyboard layout that makes the "><|" key work.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
abbin
Registered Member
Hello.
I have an HP laptop with a Swedish keyboard layout and for some reason, there is not a single keyboard layout that maps the "><|" key correctly. No matter what, it gets mapped to Right Control. Is there any way to install new layouts or do i have to wait until Neon gets an update that adds more layouts?

SOLUTION: As koffeinfriedhof suggested, i tried running xev - and i saw the key returned keycode 105, which of course was wrong. So i went into /usr/share/X11/xkb/keycodes/evdev and changed the <LSGT> tag from 105 to 94. And then you also need to comment out the <RCTL> tag or else the LSGT will be overwritten. If anyone is interested in my model, it's this one: HP Laptop - 15s-eq0355ng
Thank you koffeinfriedhof

Last edited by abbin on Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
Hi!

Depending on the keyboard, there is no <LSGT>-key (as it is only available in europe) or it has a different mapping. The hacky and easiest way is to edit the device event configuration and remap the key numbers to match your current keyboard.

Login to a non-graphical/virtual terminal (e.g. with ctrl-alt-F3) and use `showkey --scancodes` to get the corresponding numbers of the keys. On a default european keyboard with <LSGT>-key these keys are <LSGT> = 94 and <RCTL> = 105. If they are switched on your keyboard you can just change numbers yourself editing the /usr/share/X11/xkb/keycodes/evdev file with administrative privileges.
You also can try to use `xev` in your graphical environment to get the keycodes, but it can already be mapped and the numbers must not fit the ones on the virtual terminal.

If it is an HP 15s-eq0355ng or similar, you don't need to look it up, you can directly change LSGT to 105 and RCTL to 94 as I know someone using this … wonderful constructed device having exactly the same problem with its keyboard as you have.

Waiting for an update won't help as the keyboard stuff is already nearly 30 years old and does not receive a lot of updates ;) It is up to the keyboard manufacturer to use an existing matrix.

There is also a possibility of using Xmodmap but afair it won't work well with modifier keys like <RCTL>.