This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

National Geographic Picture of the Day not updating

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sparhawk
Registered Member
OS
I have two Arch/KDE systems, and neither is updating its National Geographic Picture of the Day wallpaper. They are both currently stuck on an image from 3.5 weeks ago, the February 15 hippos. Is anyone else experiencing this?

FWIW my second monitor has the Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Day, and this has been updating fine.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Please report this to the bug tracker, the forum is the wrong place for bug reports: https://bugs.kde.org

FWIW: I have no picture at all from Nat Geo, so I guess there is a problem with the link

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
sparhawk
Registered Member
OS
Thanks Mamarok. TBH I've filed several KDE bugs, but most of them tend to be ignored, so it's hard to motivate myself to spend the time. Thanks for checking anyway.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I don't think bugs are ignored, certainly not if they are well done with all necessary information. There are just a lot of bugs, considering the hundreds of thousands of lines of code KDE software has... and there are only 24 hours in a day.
Would be nice if you could give a link to the bug in question so I can subscribe to it. For this particular bug I think there must have been a change in the source, as all other sources still work, so it should be a relatively easy fix if the API is still open.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
sparhawk
Registered Member
OS
I logged back into the bug tracker, and I have five open bugs. Three of them never had a reply, in three, five, or eight years. One had a form reply after five years, which was basically the robot bumping it. One *did* have a brief reply, albeit after five years, and with four other non-devs discussing the bug.

I guess (much like No true Scotsman) they might not be "well done with all necessary information", but I have never received any feedback informing me of this.

Having said that, I'm happy to give it another shot. However, I spent several minutes trying to work out which "product" this should go under. I couldn't really work this out. Any hints?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
The most likely place I would file this bug to is https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?prod ... 0Wallpaper.

I can have a look at your open bugs, just send me the mail address you use in https://bugs.kde.org in a PM

sparhawk
Registered Member
OS
Thanks, bug filed.

(I think you should be able to work out my other bugs from that link.)
Mamarok
Manager
OS
sparhawk wrote:...

(I think you should be able to work out my other bugs from that link.)

I did indeed. I check the other 5 bugs you filed that are still open (out of 45):

3 are wish-list items, these do not really need any reaction unless the wish was rejected or implemented. If you want a discussion about a feature request, then this should go to the respective mailing list or IRC channel, depending on the project. Discussions usually do not happen on the bug tracker. Many projects also use the development platform for this, currently to be found on invent.kde.org.

The kwalletmanager one was filed for version 17.08, this has been reworked completely, is this still relevant in the current version?
The korganizer one is even older, is this still valid?

sparhawk
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:I check the other 5 bugs you filed that are still open (out of 45):

Thanks for that.

Mamarok wrote:3 are wish-list items, these do not really need any reaction unless the wish was rejected or implemented.

Oh okay. I'm used to other communities where contributors (including those making suggestions) are usually acknowledged either way.
Mamarok wrote:The kwalletmanager one was filed for version 17.08, this has been reworked completely, is this still relevant in the current version?
The korganizer one is even older, is this still valid?

You are correct. Both bugs have been fixed. I've filed them appropriately. As mentioned above, I withdrew from the KDE bug-reporting community, so hadn't checked for a while. Thanks again for checking.