This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Changing keypad settings breaks keyboard input of apps

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
twettich
Registered Member
OS
Hello out there,

I've encountered a very strange problem and I'm at a loss about how to tackle it.

When I set my numbers keypad to use numbers only (as in macOS), all KDE (and I think Qt) applications don't receive any keyboard input anymore. Global shortcuts still work and non-KDE applications like Firefox still receive keyboard input as normal. But all KDE applications result in being unusable.

I changed the settings as follows:
System settings -> Input Devices -> Keyboard -> Advanced -> Configure Keyboard options -> Compatibility options -> Numeric keypad always enters digits (as in macOS)

Using openSuse Tumbleweed:
KDE Plasma 5.21.3
KDE Frameworks 5.80.0
Qt 5.15.2
Kernel 5.11.11

When I disable the setting, logout and login again, everything works fine again. But I really want this setting for some applications as I am already used to it since I have a second machine running fine with this thing enabled (but slightly older Kernel version 5.11.6)

Does anyone know where I could start my search to fix this problem?

Thanks,
twettich
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Did you try with an older Kernel?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
twettich
Registered Member
OS
Hello,

thanks for the suggestion, there is a problem though. Since this is a fresh installation of openSuse Tumbleweed I have no older kernels available on the system and I don't know of any repositories to load older kernels from. There was a minor kernel update to 5.11.12 which did not solve the problem.

Tomorrow I'm gonna try updating my other system to the new version to check if the problem occurs there, too. (It's on btrfs filesystem with snapshots and stuff, I can roll back if anything goes wrong, so no worries there.)

On the other hand maybe I can copy an older kernel from the other system. Gonna search if there is a way.

Thanks so far,
twettich
twettich
Registered Member
OS
Hello again,

I have used my older system and a lot of update rollbacks to identify the package that caused the bug to appear. Its neither Qt, nor KDE, nor the kernel.

The problem occurs with the "libxkbcommon-x11-0" package in openSUSE Tumbleweed, which had an update from version 1.1.0-1.1 to 1.2.0-1.1.

Now I don't know if they introduced a bug or if they changed some kind of expected behaveiour which needs other projects to adjust. So I'm not sure how to proceed from here. Should I submit a bug report? If so, where? Or should I try to track down why that package is introducing this bug and file a bug report afterwards? If so, how? I'm confused... o)

Thanks in advance,
twettich
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Report a bug to your distribution about this package, then you will be told if it is intended or not.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...