This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] Desktop right-click does nothing after upgrade

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kde-quixote
Registered Member
Right click normally brings up a context menu that lets me customize wallpaper and suchlike. After a dist-upgrade from Debian Buster (10) to Bullseye (11), nothing happens when I right-click.

Since it was an upgrade, not a clean install, it kept all my config files, so I have my favorite wallpaper slideshow as desktop background, for instance, but I can't easily change anything. I can edit ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc, but I'd really like to get the right-click functionality back.

This sounds like a similar problem to https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=169700&p=442047&hilit=desktop+right+click+working#p442047, but the fix suggested there (deleting ~/.local/share/kscreen/ and redoing display configuration) didn't do anything in my case.

Has anybody else had this problem? Is it likely to solve itself as bullseye moves toward stable? Or is it a hangover from the upgrade that'll never go away until I fix some config file?

And if so, WHICH ONE? ??? Thanks! :D

Last edited by kde-quixote on Wed May 26, 2021 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Debian Bullseye 5.10.28-1, KDE plasma 5.20.5-4, running linux since 1990s, still a newbie.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Could you please give the exact Plasma version instead of only a Distribution name? It's really hard to remember by heart which Distribution version ships which Plasma version, there is more than just Debian around as you might know...

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
kde-quixote
Registered Member
Sorry about that.

kernel version: 5.10.28-1
plasma version 5.20.5-4

Debian Bullseye 5.10.28-1, KDE plasma 5.20.5-4, running linux since 1990s, still a newbie.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Hm, you will probably have to report it to Debian, I can't reproduce this here, the Context Menu still pops up without problems.
Make sure you did not accidentally override the default settings with a change in the shortcuts.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
kde-quixote
Registered Member
It's not impossible that the default settings are being overridden. I upgraded, rather than clean-installed, because I didn't want to have to redo all the tweaks I've done over the years. I do mean "years".... That's the problem. I should have taken notes! I have no idea, at this point, which config file I might have fussed with.

Would you have a suggestion as to a likely place to look for the relevant settings? I'll also check the Debian forums.

Mamarok
Manager
OS
An update is very unlikely to have changed the defaults in the shortcuts, let alone the right-click context menu functionality which is a pretty standard basic. What comes to mind is some third-party global theme or plasma add-on (e.g. docks, widgets) that could interfere, so maybe check what else you added recently.

kde-quixote
Registered Member
The only setting I know I've changed is to have a changing set of different backgrounds on the desktop. But that's still cycling through the wallpapers just fine, even though I can't use the GUI to change it. But I've probably also changed other things and forgotten about it :(

A suggestion on the Debian forum was to set up a new user and see if the problem persists, to see if it's one of my user's config files or system-wide. I'll see how that goes tomorrow.

kde-quixote
Registered Member
Yup. It's a problem with my user. A new user has all the normal right-click functionality on the Desktop.

If anyone has any ideas where I look to start trying to fix that, I'd be very grateful!

I really don't want to spend days and days re-doing customizations just to get myself back where I was.

kde-quixote
Registered Member
Turns out the answer is simple. Finding it was a bear though. Finally stumbled on it in a reddit thread.

My ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc had somehow lost the following line right at the beginning of the file:
Code: Select all
[ActionPlugins][0]
RightButton;NoModifier=org.kde.contextmenu

After adding that back in and rebooting, the desktop right click works as expected again.