This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Hiding the taskbar, but showing the clock

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alira
Registered Member
I'm new to Linux so sorry if I accidentally use Windows terminology!

I'm using KDE Plasma 5.22 on Kubuntu. I prefer having my taskbar (i.e. the bottom panel) set to auto-hide. However, I want to be able to see the time without moving my mouse to the bottom of my screen. Is there a way to keep the taskbar on auto-hide but for the clock to still be visible in the corner, over the top of my applications?

And if it's not possible with the clock, how about the battery icon (I'm on a laptop)?
dzon
Registered Member
Set a clock widget. Plenty of those. Analog, binary, vertical,calendar.... Right click desktop>add widget>drag from widget panel. If you need more, grab some from the store ( top of the widget panel, get new widgets).

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.
alira
Registered Member
dzon wrote:Set a clock widget. Plenty of those. Analog, binary, vertical,calendar.... Right click desktop>add widget>drag from widget panel. If you need more, grab some from the store ( top of the widget panel, get new widgets).

But is there a way to make widgets show over the top of applications?
dzon
Registered Member
Wait, let me get this straight. You want a clock to be seen at ALL times? Over your windows? No matter what you do, a file manager, a browser.....the clock always there?

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.
alira
Registered Member
dzon wrote:Wait, let me get this straight. You want a clock to be seen at ALL times? Over your windows? No matter what you do, a file manager, a browser.....the clock always there?

Haha, yes, that is what I want. That's sort of what a taskbar is already, right? Only this would take up just a corner rather than the entire bottom 2cm of the screen.
dzon
Registered Member
Myeeeahh......weird. Nope, can't help you with that. Guess a wall clock or a watch might be an option. ;)

dzon
Registered Member
Maybe this is of some help: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/how-do-i-make-a-widget-be-on-top-of-everthing/57562/2
Maybe some conky could do the trick.

genericity
Registered Member
You'll need a kwin effect for that. There was a BeClock effect (https://sourceforge.net/p/bekwinfx/code ... /be.clock/) back in KDE 4 days. But unfortunately it was not ported to KDE 5.