This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Change on edge of screen & other customization

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pierpiotr
Registered Member
OS
Hello,
I had a few customizations around cube / desktops that have disappeared without any reason that I know of:
    Change desktop on the left edge
    Showing the desktop on the top edge
    Showing all desktops on the right edge
    Pointer following
This is mot annoying because these are productivity features for me. Can anyone help, please ?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Distribution, exact Plasma version?
The screen Edges functions are mostly here in my version
By "Pointer following" I guess you mean "Focus follows mouse"? That action also exists in my system (details see signature)
As for the cube: this is gone and the reason has already been explained in other threads as well as in the release announcements and change logs.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
pierpiotr
Registered Member
OS
Hello Mamarok
I have Kubuntu 20.4 LTS and Plasma 5.18 (last 2 digits to be confirmed).
And your right, I didn't know the exact name of this pointer in English.
As for the cube disappearance, I'd like to find the "other thread" announcing it. I have searched to no avail... (Deeply disappointed, too)
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Here is a direct link to the mailing list entry explaining the reasons for discontinuing the Desktop Cube. Don't blame the developers, it is a simple lack of manpower.
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kwin/202 ... 05222.html

I mentioned this in this forum thread already (one that can very easily be found with the Search option "Desktop Cube" in the search field of this forum): viewtopic.php?f=289&t=172850&p=449579&hilit=desktop+cube#p449419

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
pierpiotr
Registered Member
OS
In my view, the cube and its perks are about comfort at working on several issues during the day, a positive feature as compared to W or even Unity. I am not sure that there is such a negligible cohort using it (empirical statistics ? ). I don't mean to discuss it here, but it would deserve a more democratic way to set priorities, in my view.
On other matters :
    Screen Edges functions still list Cube as an option, this is confusing
    Focus follows mouse : I can't translate the info in your signature that helps understand the issue. Sorry for being such a noob and annoyance :<
Mamarok
Manager
OS
It is only confusing because your Plasma version still has the cube, it will be removed in alter versions.

The signature has the details of my system, the Focus Follows mouse action is a setting in the Plasma System settings, where you can find it in the Workspace section -> Windows Management -> Windows Behavior - Focus

You can find all relevant settings in the System Settings, I suggest you have a look there and try out different settings if you want to get more familiar with your system and its possibilities.

pierpiotr
Registered Member
OS
Hi,
What I used is Workspace>Desktop effects>Follow the mouse where you start the effect with a sequence (meta S) for me. It renders a white and a black circles contra-rotating around the pointer. This does not replace the focus of the mouse over windows that you describe.
I find terrible that KDE is loosing such features ...
In any case, thanks for your help.
Let's say that the issue is resolved (by KO) >:(
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Did you really look at the options correctly? The first entry in this section, Window activation policy, has a drop-down option field where you can find "Focus follows mouse". There is no loss of feature, seriously!

pierpiotr
Registered Member
OS
Thank you for your patience and directions. This would be great combined with the previous follow the mouse effect (which actually disappeared) !
Mamarok
Manager
OS
What are we supposed to see in this picture?

pierpiotr
Registered Member
OS
It's the rotating 3/4th of black & white circles around the pointer.
It's taken form my laptop at home which, by the way, did not get this fatal update yet.
Is there a way to avoid it if the security risk is not too high ?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I can't really reproduce this on my system, are you sure there is not something missing in your installation? I also don't recall ever having seen this in previous versions of Plasma on Kubuntu, which is my desktop of choice since its existence.

pierpiotr
Registered Member
OS
I found it a couple of years ago. Don't you have it in Workspace>Desktop effects>Follow the mouse?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Wait, you talk about the "Track Mouse" desktop effect to locate the mouse cursor? Of course I have that, my bad, I completely misunderstood your question. And it definitely is working here, with Plasma 5.23.3 on Kubuntu 21.10.
FWIW: you should avoid using already existing shortcuts for this kind of things, as Meta+S is already used o stop the current activity.

pierpiotr
Registered Member
OS
This is actually Track the mouse (forgive my translation). However it does not work here at work . I have changed it to Alt+s to no avail.
Here is my configuration :
Operating System: Kubuntu 20.04
KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.68.0
Qt Version: 5.12.8
Kernel Version: 5.11.0-41-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory: 15,6 Gio