This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Intrusive taskbar panel shadow: how to remove it?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sergei_franco
Registered Member
Hi,

I am running KDE neon 5.23.
After recent update an annoying shadow has appeared above the taskbar panel (hovering a few pixels above the panel):

I have tried to switching themes, and resizing the task bar, as well as changing task bar from Adaptive to Transparent and Opaque without any success.

While we are here - is it possible to disable ALL shadows, glows and transparencies?

Thanks a lot!
sergei_franco
Registered Member
I found this hack:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/KDE#Di ... nel_shadow

That fixed it for me.

I find it odd there is no config item in the settings to disable shadows...
dzon
Registered Member
Looks related to this topic I came across. https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/q7ib88/weird_shadow_under_some_panels_and_windows_in_kde/
As for shadows and transparency, system settings and theme is what you need to look into.
Edit: Just read your hack. No need for that really. Look for a plasma theme that doesn't come with shadows ( and a border for that matter).
Shadows around windows are in system settings>window decorations. If you're using breeze, the settings for shadows are in there. Other window decrations like Classik and Sierra breeze enhanced also have shadow settings. Regular aurorae themes have not.
Here's an example of my setup with no shadow or borders and no titlebars on maximized windows. https://imgur.com/a/WTQ7fnW

Last edited by dzon on Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.
sergei_franco
Registered Member
dzon wrote:Looks related to this topic I came across. https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/q7ib88/weird_shadow_under_some_panels_and_windows_in_kde/
As for shadows and transparency, system settings and theme is what you need to look into.

I get no customization options in the systems settings relating to theme and shadows.
At most I can only switch themes.
I remember back in Plasma 4 days I could tweak every single bit, this all been gnomified now.

The exact versions I am running:

Operating System: KDE neon 5.23
KDE Plasma Version: 5.23.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.89.0
Qt Version: 5.15.3
Kernel Version: 5.11.0-46-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 16 × AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
Memory: 31.3 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2
dzon
Registered Member
If you don't get any customization options regarding theming, something is wrong with your setup. https://imgur.com/a/n3nHfJP

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.
sergei_franco
Registered Member
dzon wrote:If you don't get any customization options regarding theming, something is wrong with your setup.

This probably because the home dir transcended multiple iterations since a decade ago.
I would really hate to hose off all the settings, but if I have to, what would be the correct path to nuke?
dzon
Registered Member
Not sure why you want to nuke settings. If you want the way it was in 4, you're out of luck. Instead of nuking, maybe adapting is a better way. In short, can't help you pushing that button. If you want the old 4 looks, installing a plasma 4 look theme is possible. Deleting all configs on the other hand....good luck with that. Besides, there's no point in holding on to configs of all kinds for something that doesn't exist anymore.

sergei_franco
Registered Member
dzon wrote:Not sure why you want to nuke settings. If you want the way it was in 4, you're out of luck. Instead of nuking, maybe adapting is a better way. In short, can't help you pushing that button. If you want the old 4 looks, installing a plasma 4 look theme is possible. Deleting all configs on the other hand....good luck with that.

I don't mind the looks in general. The reason I might want to nuke config, in case it got corrupted over the years of upgrades, as it seems I am missing some configuration items in the Global Theme menu . At least according to replies from above I should have options for tweaking shadows?

In anyway I removed .config/systemsettingsrc and I still have no options related to shadows anywhere in the Appearance sub-menus.

I have just checked my other machine and it also doesn't have any configuration relating to shadows.
dzon
Registered Member
The .config, as the name suggests, resides in your personal ~ folder. As such it can't be the source of not having additional SYSTEM settings. If you're telling me that the only theming option you have is global theme and no such settings like color, window decoration, icons, plasma style, cursors...etc..., then something is wrong with the setup. OR!! You you have some kind of config which completely disables parts of the core system. And that is highly unlikely. You could check by backing up any kind of possible hardcore config you might cling on to and restart the shell without them. https://imgur.com/a/58iBrIh
The shadow section is the screenie I linked to. Again, under window decorations>breeze>the edit button within that little breeze window. https://imgur.com/a/1BVoaoa

sergei_franco
Registered Member
dzon wrote:The .config, as the name suggests, resides in your personal ~ folder. As such it can't be the source of not having additional SYSTEM settings. If you're telling me that the only theming option you have is global theme and no such settings like color, window decoration, icons, plasma style, cursors...etc..., then something is wrong with the setup. OR!! You you have some kind of config which completely disables parts of the core system. And that is highly unlikely. You could check by backing up any kind of possible hardcore config you might cling on to and restart the shell without them. https://imgur.com/a/58iBrIh

I just realised what you are describing, and yes I have to click the not-so-obvious pencil icon on the Window Decorations to get the settings, and yes it does exit.

I was under wrong impression that there is a global theme customisation option of disabling shadows.

I have two systems I can compare and it looks like both are in line.

I wish I could disable rest of shadows without changing theme.

As for the original shadow issue, the script works OK, even though it is a hack.
dzon
Registered Member
Good, oof. Not sure what you mean by "other shadows", but anyway. If you stick with the default breeze global ( theme, window decorations etc..) you can also simply install another plasma theme. As shown by one of the links in my posts in this topic, I'm using one without borders or shadow. That's because I wanted something different overall. One big window so to speak. So if you should decide that you want a panel, not only without shadow, but also without outline, that script won't suffise. For that you'd need to install a plasma theme altogether. Anyway, problem solved.

sergei_franco
Registered Member
dzon wrote:Good, oof. Not sure what you mean by "other shadows", but anyway. If you stick with the default breeze global ( theme, window decorations etc..) you can also simply install another plasma theme. As shown by one of the links in my posts in this topic, I'm using one without borders or shadow. That's because I wanted something different overall. One big window so to speak. So if you should decide that you want a panel, not only without shadow, but also without outline, that script won't suffise. For that you'd need to install a plasma theme altogether. Anyway, problem solved.

I hate installing random themes *, I am very happy with Breeze Twilight, except the menu and panel shadows. To be honest if the shadow didn't float I would not even be bothered that much.

Thanks for your help!

* The theme picker interface is clunky, and there are no KDE curated themes that I can filter most of the noise.
dzon
Registered Member
Good. No idea what you mean by noise though. Cheers.

sergei_franco
Registered Member
Rebooted and it got worse now:

So, it looks like that bug is not actually fixed...
dzon
Registered Member
And the script doesn't work either. Only thing left for now is try a theme without shadows. Something like: https://store.kde.org/p/1202247/. There are more like that.