This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Desktop mess

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dzon
Registered Member

Desktop mess

Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:27 am
I wonder when it'll be fixed, if ever.
I posted about some desktop issues a while back about service menus not working on the desktop, url dragging not working etc...
I normally don't do activities and just today I got a reminder why I shouldn't. Because it's a mess. If I use a different icon layout ( column vs rows) for example, the placements get all garbled up, mostly half offscreen or under some panel, widgets replacing etc... Totally messed up, totally unusable.
I created my own service menus to counter those particular bugs and, like I said, I don't use activities. But dear lord. This has been going on since, what, 21.04 ( 5.19 ?) something?

And yeah, I gave 5.23 a spin and...still the issue is there, unbothered. Now, I really like KDE. As far as DE's go, it's the best, by far imo. But these long lasting and, most of all, very obvious and unatained issues, make me turn on my trusted openbox setups which I've been running for well over a decade. I really hope that these things, after all quite unique to kde, get fixed.
Personally I don't give a r..'s a.. about some adaptive transparency for the panel or some gui overhoal. As long as the core is stable, I'm fine and I just do my own customization stuff. But why bother with a custom application style, a custom window decoration, a homemade panel etc...if the desktop seems to have a mindset of its own?

Frankly, smells gnome-dev-ish to me. And uhm, as a sidenote...if Pop os gets their own rust based "gnome" right, "regular" gnome will become a niche product. Just saying.

Edit by moderator: add some line jumps to make this readable

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.
dzon
Registered Member

Re: Desktop mess

Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:03 pm
At this point, using the Desktop directory as..desktop has become pretty much useless. At first, certain service menus didn't work. Dragging an url to create an url shortcut didn't work. Now renaming desktop files is only possible for a single file ( mind you, copying a text to rename it is impossible, there's no "paste" menu entry) Bulk renaming is totally out of the question. Files in desktop folders have become totally uneditable in folder widget view. The only way to actually edit all the desktop files is by opening Dolphin. In Dolphin the files in the Desktop directory are renamable, either by simply typing a new name or copying a piece of text. What's the point of setting your desktop to ~/Desktop if options go from 0 to 50%. The renaming issue has been filed since 2018 nonetheless. For whatever reason, Desktop is not the same as ~/Desktop apparently. And the folder view widget annex overall folderview has been partially broken since 5.21. Sure, certain service menus don't work in it, but at least I can rename a file. Not so with files in a desktop folder. Only in Dolphin.

Last edited by dzon on Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.
dzon
Registered Member

Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:06 pm
O, great. Just checked. Even if you set your desktop to show your home directory, renaming files isn't possible. How nice.
https://imgur.com/a/Ur3Hlpg

dzon
Registered Member

Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:09 am
Yes. I believe plasma 5.20 was the last version some of the functionality still worked. In 5.23...same mess. I guess that, in my case, desktop serves me no purpose at all, in whatever directory it is set. I'd be better off autostarting kde in a dolphin/directory window. Nevertheless, still "happy" that the drag n drop function from the folder widget on the panel still works. Although a Rox-filer launcher on the panel would do a better job. At least I can rename ,bulk rename and easily switch layout in it.