This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to get the old right click button on the keyboard back

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
schoebi
Registered Member
Until some years ago there was on every keyboard a mouse-right-click key on the right side of the space-bar.

I'd like to get that back on a different key.

Example: Assignin the command for this function to Space+AltGr

Important: the right-click must happen for example on the file in dolphin that is chosen (not where the mouse cursor is) - I hope it is clear what I want to describe..

Anyone an idea how to get this done?
almostreality
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

I think the key you are looking for is called the Menu key, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menu_key

Most computers have an alternate shortcut to trigger the context menu in case the menu key is unavailable, on my computer it is Shift+F10, others report having Shift+Fn+F10 or even Ctrl+F10, I believe it is hardware dependent.

If you want to reassign the Menu key to another key, you can do that with xmodmap using
Code: Select all
xmodmap -e 'keycode xx = Menu'

where xx is the key to be replaced with the menu key. You can view current key bindings with xmodmap -pke

If you want to reassign the Menu key to a specific key combination (such as Space+AltGr) you will have to use a custom shortcut manager.

On KDE neon 5.23 you can go to System Settings > Shortcuts > Custom Shortcuts > Edit > New > Global Shortcut > Send Keyboard Input and set the Action to 'Menu'.

The details of setting up a custom shortcut may vary, but you would want to set the keysym to 'Menu' to trigger to context menu.

Hope I could help.
maverick
Registered Member
OS
On KDE neon 5.23 you can go to System Settings > Shortcuts > Custom Shortcuts > Edit > New > Global Shortcut > Send Keyboard Input and set the Action to 'Menu'.

The details of setting up a custom shortcut may vary, but you would want to set the keysym to 'Menu' to trigger to context menu.

I'm on 5.24.1 but i don't seem to be able to get it working. Do i have to reboot or something? I've tried Menu and 'Menu' and nothing works... can you help?

(also... i don't get it why this does not come default on Plasma...)
schoebi
Registered Member
maverick wrote:

I'm on 5.24.1 but i don't seem to be able to get it working. Do i have to reboot or something? I've tried Menu and 'Menu' and nothing works... can you help?

(also... i don't get it why this does not come default on Plasma...)

Menu (without quotations) works. Also press the button "take effect" (or so, I don't have it in English on my machine).
And check if the entry is really there after taking effect.

In my case it worked fortunately.
maverick
Registered Member
OS
In mine it did not work!!!

But... i figured it out!!!

I had to got to:

System Settings > Input Devices > Keyboard > Layouts

And under Configure Layouts - in my case it's Portuguese - i had to chosse the variant "Portuguese (with Sun dead keys)"

As soon as i choose that it started to work immediately!!!

Thanks you so much for trying to help me, anyway :D