This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Empty application launcher menu

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bkorb
Registered Member
OS

Empty application launcher menu

Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:12 pm
I just did a fresh install of openSUSE 15.3. Upon initial boot, the menu was there just fine. I did a few things (more desktops, compiled some code) and shut down for the night. This morning, I booted, but the menu is gone and I don't have any apps on the desktop. The only thing I can figure out how to fire off is the file system browser. I forget its name. Anyway, no terminal, no browser (I'm on another computer), not much of anything.

SO: how do I restore that menu? Thank you!

Edit: still no menu, but I figured out how to construct a desktop icon that kicks off "konsole", at least.
BTW, there is no "menus" item findable under ~/.config so I don't know what viewtopic.php?f=289&t=140075 refers to.

Edit-2: It's back. No idea what I may have done, but something caused it to be non-functional and now it's functioning. If anyone has an idea about what might have triggered it, I'll be happy to run it to ground. At the moment, I cannot reproduce the failure.
bkorb
Registered Member
OS

Re: Empty application launcher menu

Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:51 pm
It went away again and hasn't come back this time.

I am able to find the KDE Menu Editor and get into it. The listed apps look right. I cannot get it to show tho. Is there a way to get plasmashell to tell me what is going on? Do I need to fix one of these files?
Code: Select all
$ find plasma* -type f
plasma-localerc
plasma-nm
plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
plasma-pk-updates
plasmarc
plasmashellrc