This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Touchpad settings ignored (after recent update)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
monerovirus
Registered Member
KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.4
Kernel: 5.17.1-arch1-1
Graphics Platform: X11
Input driver: libinput

Hi.
Sometimes after booting, the touchpad has reverted to default settings. I have to restart my laptop repeatedly to fix it, it seems random, maybe about 50:50 chance.
When it happens, changing the touchpad settings in system settings and pressing apply does nothing. This started happening after an update a week or so ago.
I also tried "modprobe -r psmouse" then "modprobe psmouse", and this actually makes the trackpoint (the other mouse) on my laptop also begin ignoring settings in addition to the touchpad.
Help is appreciated. Thanks.
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
Hi!

What touchpad exactly? Have a look at libinput to get some information and troubleshooting and try to debug yours with libinput debug-events.
monerovirus
Registered Member
Hi, thanks for replying.
My laptop is a Thinkpad E595.
Next time it happens, I will check debug-events, thanks.
monerovirus
Registered Member
I see no difference in the debug-events ouput when it's working vs when it's not working. I think the issue has to do with what happens after the input is received, but they are being received correctly it seems.
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
Okay. Perhaps you can get closer using journalctl.
Code: Select all
journalctl -b -p warning  # → show all warnings and errors since last reboot
journalctl -k  # → new `dmesg`
journalctl -f  # → follow

Also try to disable and enable the touchpad in `kcmshell5 kcm_touchpad`.

In parallel you could also create a new user to login with and check if this happens to him too. If not, we only have to dig in the user settings of the main user.