This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Disable mouse tooltips in KDE apps

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cograno
Registered Member

Disable mouse tooltips in KDE apps

Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:44 am
Hi,

Having googled a bit I understand that there is no system-wide option to disable mouse hover tooltips on various GUI elements, instead it is supposed to be managed by each app on its own. While tooltips may be usefull for a novice, later they become distractive.

Successfully disabled

Window decorations - System Settings // Appearance // Window Decorations // Titlebar Buttons tab: uncheck Show titlebar button tooltips.

No idea how to disable tooltips

System Settings anytime I leave mouse cursor about any of the left sidebar where the items (like Appearance, Workspace, Personalization, ...) are listed, a tooltip appears and blocks view on the main middle panel.

Konsole - hovering mouse cursor over 'tab' name displays a tooltip with the same description (like '~: bash').

Dolphin - I have disabled "Configure // General: uncheck Show tooltips". Yet, hovering mouse cursor over a tab name (e.g. 'Home') shows a tooltip ('/home/user1'), which is the same info that can be displayed in 'Location' bar.

Kate - hovering mouse curos over 'tab' name displays the full path to the document name, which is the same info that can be statically shown in 'Navigation bar' or in 'Title bar'.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Go to System Settings -> Workspace -> Workspace Behavior - > General Behavior and disable the tooltips. Don't forget to hit the Apply button at the bottom right.

You could also find this by searching for "tooltips" in the System Settings search field.

For this to apply to all applications, you might have to log out and log back in again or at least restart the applications.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
cograno
Registered Member
Thanks for responding - however, it does not work - I have had it already turned off before. (Further, I have also tried to turn on, apply, turn off, apply, log out and log in. But no change in behaviour.)

See the screenshot at Imgur:

https://imgur.com/a/xQOCjmS

Is this a bug?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I would say it is, I submitted the bug for you, you can simply subscribe to it: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=455073

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...