This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Display brightness doesn't change

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mandraulic
Registered Member

Display brightness doesn't change

Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:07 pm
Just downloaded KDE Neon and I'm trying to change my display brightness either with my laptop's F keys or through display settings and it doesn't work the way it needs to. Increasing brightness will work until ~50% then after that will drop shown brightness while increasing to ~90%. It's almost like it's dimming. I've turned off all dimming, tried manually increasing brightness, looked up solutions and the only one I can find close to my issue was talking about removing xorg.conf? I have tried this on x11 and wayland, not sure what I need to do to fix this.

I'm using an i5 Framework Laptop with 16gb of ram.
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS

Re: Display brightness doesn't change

Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:08 am
Hi!

The brightness changes depend on the hardware you are using. So perhaps you are missing some proprietary stuff like firmware or nvidia drivers. You can find the bare brightness settings in /sys/class/backlight/PROVIDER. As an example for the Intel brightness:
Code: Select all
cat /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/{max_,}brightness

would show the maximum value and the current value as an integer.

On some systems (mobiles usually) the backlight-stuff is found in /sys/class/leds/ but that shouldn't be the case with a "full laptop".

The keys itself can be internal keys or triggering a kernel event. Run `evtest` as root, choose your keyboard an check if the keys are recognized.