This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Display Configuration "No KScreen backend found"

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gautambhat
Registered Member
Hi,

I have upgraded to Kubuntu "Lunar Lobster". I have an external monitor connected to my laptop. After upgrade I didn't see the right monitor configuration. When I opened "Display Configuration" in system settings I see "No KScreen backend found".

Currently I am setting my screen config using kscreen-doctor. I checked kscreen-console and I get the following error:

Code: Select all
kf.i18n: KLocalizedString: Using an empty domain, fix the code. msgid: "(c) 2012 KScreen Team" msgid_plural: "" msgctxt: ""
kf.i18n: KLocalizedString: Using an empty domain, fix the code. msgid: "KScreen Console" msgid_plural: "" msgctxt: ""
kf.i18n: KLocalizedString: Using an empty domain, fix the code. msgid: "KScreen Console" msgid_plural: "" msgctxt: ""
kf.i18n: KLocalizedString: Using an empty domain, fix the code. msgid: "Maintainer" msgid_plural: "" msgctxt: ""
kf.i18n: KLocalizedString: Using an empty domain, fix the code. msgid: "Alejandro Fiestas Olivares" msgid_plural: "" msgctxt: ""
kf.i18n: KLocalizedString: Using an empty domain, fix the code. msgid: "KScreen Console is a CLI tool to query KScreen status\n\nCommands:\n  bug             Show information needed for a bug report\n  config          Show KScreen config files\n  outputs         Show output information\n  monitor         Monitor for changes\n  json            Show current KScreen config" msgid_plural: "" msgctxt: ""
kf.i18n: KLocalizedString: Using an empty domain, fix the code. msgid: "Command to execute" msgid_plural: "" msgctxt: ""
kf.i18n: KLocalizedString: Using an empty domain, fix the code. msgid: "Arguments for the specified command" msgid_plural: "" msgctxt: ""
START: Requesting Config
org.kde.kscreen: Invalid key in Output map:  "priority"
Received config. Took 26 milliseconds
Config is invalid, probably backend couldn't load
QObject::connect(QObject, ConfigMonitor::Private): invalid nullptr parameter
org.kde.kscreen: Failed to deserialize config from DBus change notification
org.kde.kscreen: Failed to deserialize config from DBus change notification

I am assuming that the map is filled based on the Xrandr output. I am not sure where the priority is set though. Any idea on how I can fix this?
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
gautambhat wrote:Hi,

I have upgraded to Kubuntu "Lunar Lobster". I have an external monitor connected to my laptop. After upgrade I didn't see the right monitor configuration. When I opened "Display Configuration" in system settings I see "No KScreen backend found".

Since you are using a very much pre-pre-release of Kubuntu, you are probably just missing something that hasn't been built or updated that day, or something that has temporarily broken. Upgrading is definitely not supported much, if at all at this stage, A clean install might work better here.

It might get updated/fixed in the very near future between all the Ubuntu and Kubuntu uploads and changes that are happening each day at this stage.

My guess is a likely mismatch between an old library and a new bit of software, and the updated library hasn't made it to you just yet, or it failed to build on the servers, or any number of things. Or a conflict from the upgrade, which itself is not ready for normal usage.

Basically, welcome to alpha level OS testing land :)

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
gautambhat
Registered Member
Oh ok. I have mistakenly upgraded to the next release. Guess I have to wait for a couple of months to get this fixed. Instead of a clean install is it possible to clear all the settings of KDE?
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
Your Plasma settings are fine. Resetting those will NOT fix things for you here.

Your only choices are to stick with the current OS install, and hope it doesn't continue to be broken, or break in other places (these are both highly likely right now), to reinstall an officially released version, or be prepared to re-install this testing version on a regular basis for bit longer, until it becomes more stable.

All your desktop and application settings are stored in /home/<username> , so you can back these up and restore them after doing a fresh install

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001