This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to start application (VSCode) with different WM_classes?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pikim
Registered Member
Hi,

I'm using the latest KDE on Arch Linux and have some portable VSCode 'installations'. That are folders which contain the whole VSCode and also user-data and extensions. I do this to have completely separated setups with different purposes and extensions. There is a desktop entry for each of those and once they're running, they show up with the right custom taskbar icon and also the grouping works fine. Interestingly it works although the WM_CLASSes of each running instance is 'WM_CLASS(STRING) = "code", "Code"', regardless of the folder or desktop entry name.

The downside is that I must maintain each of those folders when VSCode has been updated.

Now I tried to solve this by regularly installing VSCode (with pacman) and adjust the desktop entries with the according --user-data-dir and --extensions-dir arguments. But then the different 'profiles' are grouped in the taskbar and have the default VSCode icon instead of the ones I configured in the desktop entries.

Is there a way to solve this: run the same binary multiple times but group them separately in the taskbar? I read about some applications supporting a --class or --name argument that affects the WM_CLASS, but neither VSCode nor electron do support that.