This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Widget app icons not scaling to fit panel (Plasma 5.27.2)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
SSimmons75
Registered Member
I'm having a minor but somewhat annoying issue with the icon scaling in my main panel. With my particular setup, I've had 3 widget icons for Krusader, Synaptic Package Manager, and System Settings, next to my pager on the right side of the panel (first image)

I use a green gear icon in place of the usual Plasma logo, as can be seen on the left (second image). Until this recent re-install I did with Kubuntu 22.10 (due to some other issues I was having), those 3 icons would scale fully to the width of the panel (in this case, 108 pixels), the same as that green gear icon. For some reason, they won't do this now with Plasma 5.27. I just updated to 5.27.2 today, as well. Though it's not a huge deal, I would still prefer those icons scale up to the size of the panel, as they always have. I'm not sure why they won't either.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I am wondering it's a bug.
dzon
Registered Member
I'm on 5.25 and if I set my panel to the humongous 108 px pinned apps look like https://imgur.com/a/nCEXWBE Dunno, maybe you might wanna try unpinned, app launcher or something. I mean, try to add apps to the panel in a different way. The plasma theme as well might use different padding settings for panel icons and such. Icon sets sometimes have issues and you might wanna check system settings>icons>bottom left>configure icon size.

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.
SSimmons75
Registered Member
dzon wrote:I'm on 5.25 and if I set my panel to the humongous 108 px pinned apps look like https://imgur.com/a/nCEXWBE Dunno, maybe you might wanna try unpinned, app launcher or something. I mean, try to add apps to the panel in a different way. The plasma theme as well might use different padding settings for panel icons and such. Icon sets sometimes have issues and you might wanna check system settings>icons>bottom left>configure icon size.

I should've mentioned that at my 4K resolution on my 28" Asus monitor, 108 pixels is not huge. It translates to roughly 2cm in height. In any case, I've always added widgets to my panel that way. Until this reinstall they always scaled properly.

I'd rather figure out why they don't scale properly than try to add them some other way. Even if I pin them to the task manager bar, they remain at the same small size, which isn't what I want.

Edit: Well, I found out what seems to be the cause of the problem. It appears to have to do with the icon set, under System Settings.

I was using the Oxygen Mix set (which I installed) when I had the problems. When I switched to Breeze Dark, I no longer had that issue. I'm not quite sure why but I figure it has to do with the settings in the icon theme itself.