This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Folder widget...sort of

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dzon
Registered Member

Folder widget...sort of

Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:03 pm
I've been nagging 'bout this for a long time now. I know a bug has been filed and I also read somewhere that the dev said that it worked as it should. Well, no, it doesn't. That is, 1) certain service menus don't work in it while they do in Dolphin itself. Again, the servicemenu "copy/move" is something I haven't used since plasma 5.21-ish, the version they stopped working in the widget. I made my own stuff for that ( and with more options) so I'm cool with that. 2) If you set it to grid style, the popups don't close. You have to click them again. Fine by me since I only use a folder widget in grid view on my panel to drag stuff like attachments etc..Minor thing. 3) Since the pinned dolphin applet doesn't do folder cascading, only locations, it's nice to have a folder widget in list view on the panel for quick access to a certain file in a certain directory. But. The icons in the lists are so small it makes the list view redundant for certain stuff like images. You can't set the size of that. Moreover, if you have tooltips enabled overall, you simply can't read the d...n list. Now, If I recall correctly, a good while back, Dolphin had a miller type column view. They abandoned that because it was, according to KDE devs "because the column view had been used by only very few people ( highly doubt that) but was tricky and time consuming to maintain.". Fine, I get that. But why would an implementation of popups be sooo hard to implement as an option for a folder widget in list view? There used to be ( well it still exists, not updated hence the lack of thumbnails) a widget, Cool popup quicklaunch that did just that, popups of what the folders contain ( and with an actual readable icon form factor). Mind you, folderview in grid mode does pop ups but not without having to click the ridiculous arrow icon in the root folder first. The popups are the items/subdirectories of the subfolder! Even certain floating menus have this function, like, for example, jgmenu with OB pipemenus. In short, that folder widget is poor design. For a kde unique thing, that's...um..myeah.. As for now, unlike certain other DE's, kde has no good working cascading folder widget and certainly not as a listview on a panel. If someone knows a fix ( editing the qml or something) or knows about a better implementation widget, give a howl. https://imgur.com/a/OMaisqA

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.