This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Getting KDE 4.1 to look like 3.5?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
27thSunshine
Registered Member

Getting KDE 4.1 to look like 3.5?

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:00 pm
Hello, KDE forum folk ^_^

I just upgraded from 3.5 -> 4.1 on a Slackware 12.2 system, and I'd like to start by saying I think it's pretty slick, and gorgeous and all that.

My only thing is, though, it seems like there's not much in the way of configurability, at least not how there was in 3.5.

-Is there any way to get rid of the foot, both in the corner of the screen and panel?
-How can I get a second panel going down the right side of my computer, in addition to the one I have on top?
-Is there any way to add things like a FireFox launcher to the panel?
-Right now, when non-KDE apps [like FF] are open, they don't have the small icons like they did in KDE 3.5. Instead, the task manager takes up a huge amount of panel-space with windows-style task management. Is there any way to get it back to how it was?
-Can I re-arrange the widgets on the panel? At the moment there doesn't seem to be a "move" option...
-The panel remains black, or near-black anyway, even though the rest of my system theme is chrome...is there anyway to get it to match, or better yet, get it near-transparency?

I know that 4.1 is still pretty new, and a lot of things are being worked out, and functionality comes before little things like the above, and I appreciate all the work done on it...I was just wondering if these things were possible yet, and if not, will they be in the future?

Thanks so much ^_^
JontheEchinda
KDE Developer
OS

RE: Getting KDE 4.1 to look like 3.5?

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:26 pm
-That would be one weird foot... I think its supposed to be a palette with paint drops. Anyway, it will disappear from the panel when you lock it.

-Right click on panel -> Add panel. Then open the panel configuration toolbar with the plasma icon on the panel and drag the bar to the side of the screen you want. In KDE 4.2 there are much more discoverable buttons for dragging and resizing.

-Just drag it from the menu to the panel. In KDE 4.1 you have to be really specific in where you drag it to. It'll only accept the drag if you drag it to the very edge of the panel. In KDE 4.2 it's much more.... normal, so to speak. :P

- I think you'll need to be more specific on this one, I don't really see what you're talking about.

-Open the panel config with the plasma button on the right side. You can then drag the widgets around to your heart's content.

-Currently you'll have to find a more-transparent plasma theme. You can get new themes with the theme installer from the Desktop Settings dialog. (Right click on desktop, select desktop configuration)

Hope this helped! (I think you might like KDE 4.2 too)

JontheEchinda, proud to be a member of the Kubuntu team since July 2008.
mcNisse
Registered Member

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:39 pm
27thSunshine wrote:Hello, KDE forum folk ^_^

I just upgraded from 3.5 -> 4.1 on a Slackware 12.2 system, and I'd like to start by saying I think it's pretty slick, and gorgeous and all that.

My only thing is, though, it seems like there's not much in the way of configurability, at least not how there was in 3.5.

-Is there any way to get rid of the foot, both in the corner of the screen and panel?
-How can I get a second panel going down the right side of my computer, in addition to the one I have on top?
-Is there any way to add things like a FireFox launcher to the panel?
-Right now, when non-KDE apps [like FF] are open, they don't have the small icons like they did in KDE 3.5. Instead, the task manager takes up a huge amount of panel-space with windows-style task management. Is there any way to get it back to how it was?
-Can I re-arrange the widgets on the panel? At the moment there doesn't seem to be a "move" option...
-The panel remains black, or near-black anyway, even though the rest of my system theme is chrome...is there anyway to get it to match, or better yet, get it near-transparency?

I know that 4.1 is still pretty new, and a lot of things are being worked out, and functionality comes before little things like the above, and I appreciate all the work done on it...I was just wondering if these things were possible yet, and if not, will they be in the future?

Thanks so much ^_^

You must mean the cachew, with the foot. No, you cannot get rid of it in the corner. but on panel it disapears when locking widgets.

To add a second panel you just add a new widget. Right click on the desktop.

Ta add quick launch icons to the panel, I think it is just too right click on it. Make sure that widgets are unlocked.

Click the cachew on the panel. Now you can reorganize widgets in the panel.
27thSunshine
Registered Member

Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:07 am
Thanks both for the quick responses!

You're right, cachew, not foot. Haha. My bad ^^;;

I feel silly for not figuring out how to move the widgets around, thanks for bearing with me.
I also got the FF launcher up, thanks for the help!
I still can't quite get the panel to move vertically down the ride side o' my laptop, the new panel just kinda chills over the old one up there at the top...

As for the task manager bit: Previously, if I had an application..say, FF open, there would be a small icon on the panel [not the launcher, but a new little icon]. I could click on that icon to minimize/maximize the application, instead of having an entire bar taking up half the panelspace. Make any sense? I think I have an old screenshot of what I'm talking about if needbe...

But thanks for all the help thus far, both of you!
[And perhaps I'll look into 4.2, too.]

Last edited by 27thSunshine on Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:44 am
I think "Show Desktop" might do what you are asking.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Zarin
KDE Developer
OS
27thSunshine wrote:As for the task manager bit: Previously, if I had an application..say, FF open, there would be a small icon on the panel [not the launcher, but a new little icon]. I could click on that icon to minimize/maximize the application, instead of having an entire bar taking up half the panelspace. Make any sense? I think I have an old screenshot of what I'm talking about if needbe...

You mean exactly what it currently is like but no text visible, just the icon? Having a look at both KDE4 and KDE3 that option has never been available. Might be an idea to submit it as a wish to Plasma at bugs.kde.org
27thSunshine
Registered Member
Zarin wrote:You mean exactly what it currently is like but no text visible, just the icon? Having a look at both KDE4 and KDE3 that option has never been available. Might be an idea to submit it as a wish to Plasma at bugs.kde.org

Err..I hate to come off as rude and argumentative, seeing as I really have no grounds to argue with you, but it must've been available in 3.5 because that's how my set-up was...there was the top panel, with launchers and things, and the side panel, with a task manager that did exactly as it does now but with just a small, non-space-hogging icon instead of a bar with text that pushes everything over to the side.
Zarin
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:12 am
Ahuh, it seems that if you move your panel from the bottom to the side of the screen in KDE 3 it automatically removes the text. That feature is currently no implemented in KDE 4 so once again I suggest submitting a wish to Plasma. ;-)

Last edited by Zarin on Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
27thSunshine
Registered Member

Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:19 am
Aha! Thanks much, sorry for any confusion ^^;; I'll do that (submit a wish, that is), 'cause I really did quite like that feature.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:47 am
mcNisse wrote:No, you cannot get rid of it in the corner. but on panel it disapears when locking widgets.

Not exactly true. It's possible to remove the desktop cashew - you can either change desktop type to one without a cashew, or add this widget to your desktop (more instructions here).

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts