This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Opened windows go behind current windows

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
owain123
Registered Member
OS
Hi,
Just updated to KDE 4.2.

When I open up a new window/program or launcher, it opens behind what i have already opened, which is REALLY annoying.
Wondering if there are any settings or fixes I can do to get around this.

Oh, and also...

*Dolphin always seems to open in full screen.

*If I want the panel to be on top of other windows, it goes on top of full screened stuff. Never used to in KDE 4.1.

*Recycle bin keeps telling me its full when its not, and wont let me delete anything.

Anyone else come across these?

*Note. I have played around with the obvious settings to try and correct what's happening.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If you want to forcibly empty your recycle bin, then you should just directly delete the contents of ~/.local/share/Trash.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Hans
Administrator
OS
Which window manager do you use?

If it's KWin, have you tried to change the "Focus stealing prevention level"? (Window behavior -> Focus, try to set it to Low or None)
Does it only happen to some apps? Check if you have any Window-specific settings (Window behavior -> Window-Specific).

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
kde-someone
Registered Member
Thanks, Hans. Worked perfectly. I have this issue with google chrome. I have a shortcut to open chrome but if it's already running, new windows appear to open with similar z-index and won't appear in front of other applications. Very annoying if I have something else maximized as there's no evidence the window actually opened so I instinctively retry and open 10 before I realise what's going on.

The fix:

1. Right click google chrome window border and make sure "Use System Title Bar and Borders" is checked
2. Right click the kde border for chrome and select "More Actions->Special Application Settings..."
3. Select the "Appearance & Fixes" tab
4. Check "Focus stealing prevention"
5. Change to "Force" and "None"
6. Click OK and, hopefully, enjoy expected chrome focusing behaviour