This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] GTK Style breaks on restart

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Gotaro
Registered Member
OS
I'm using the Moomex GTK Style from kde-look.org, which has black background menus with white text. Every time I restart, the style breaks, and menu backgrounds revert back to the light gray, but (for instance) my Firefox toolbar is still black, and all GTK text is still white. To fix this, I have to try different combinations of choosing a different GTK Style, applying, changing back, applying, choosing to use KDE style in GTK, apply, change back, etc. Often times the GTK style does not change at all from one option to the next. Is this a bug? Or am I doing something wrong? Is this an older way of doing things, where I should just be changing the KDE colors and choosing to use my KDE style in GTK apps?

Thanks a lot! Without you guys and the latest KDE, I would still be in Windows right now! ;D
sayakb
Administrator
OS
What distro are you using? Try out the gtk-qtcurve engine and see if it works for you.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You might also have the option "Apply KDE Colours to Non-KDE apps" enabled in System Settings > Appearence > Colours > Advanced

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Gotaro
Registered Member
OS
I'm using Kubuntu 8.10. I can't figure out how to use QtCurve.. I have the option to choose it as a GTK Style, but no way to configure? Also, in my first post, when I would say "choosing to use KDE style in GTK apps," I was talking about the "Apply KDE Colours to Non-KDE apps" option. Sorry about the mislabel!

--Edit--
I'll check back in hopes for an answer, but for now I'm just going to start working on a custom KDE Colors theme.

Last edited by Gotaro on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sayakb
Administrator
OS

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:31 am
To use qtcurve, at konsole:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines-qtcurve

Then goto KMenu -> System Settings -> Appearance -> GTK Styles and Fonts. Under "GTK Styles", select "Choose another style" and find QtCurve in the drop menu.

Gotaro
Registered Member
OS
LinuxIsInnovation wrote:To use qtcurve, at konsole:
sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines-qtcurve

Then goto KMenu -> System Settings -> Appearance -> GTK Styles and Fonts. Under "GTK Styles", select "Choose another style" and find QtCurve in the drop menu.

I enabled QtCurve, but I can't tell if it did anything. I guess I just don't know what it was supposed to do. There is no configure button that I can find.. :( Not for Qt4 or for QtCurve.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:14 pm
The only thing I can think of is that files are being overwritten by KDE. Try this command, and post its output here:
find $HOME | grep -i gtk

KDE Sysadmin
Gotaro
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:36 pm
bcooksley wrote:The only thing I can think of is that files are being overwritten by KDE. Try this command, and post its output here:
find $HOME | grep -i gtk

gotaro@gotaro-linux:~$ find $HOME | grep -i gtk
/home/gotaro/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4
/home/gotaro/.config/qtcurve.gtk-icons
/home/gotaro/.config/gtk-qt-engine
/home/gotaro/.config/gtk-qt-engine/gtk-qt-engine.conf
/home/gotaro/.config/gtk-2.0
/home/gotaro/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini
/home/gotaro/.config/qtcurve.gtk-colors
/home/gotaro/.kde/env/gtk-qt-engine.rc.sh
/home/gotaro/.kde/share/config/gtkrc

Is this what you use? (QtCurve) The screenshots I've seen of it show different tabs in the Appearance app. It shows up in the "Style" tab, but now there are extra tabs and I'm changing it in the "GTK Styles and Fonts" tab. There is still a configure button in the Style tab (no QtCurve shows up in that one, though), just not in GTK Styles and Fonts.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:49 pm
Destroy these files:

And move this one to another location outside .kde

KDE Sysadmin
Gotaro
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Destroy these files:

And move this one to another location outside .kde

WAIT. I stumbled on something before I got back to check the forums. There is a Qt4 Settings app in the KMenu! Lol.. KMenu->Apps->Settings->Qt4 Settings
Now that I've found that, should I still delete and move those files?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Yes, you still should delete + move those files. Do not use the Qt4 configuration tool, it will interfere with KDE config tools.

The KDE Colours control module creates a GTK colour configuration file. If these are present they might interfere with the operation of normal Gtk themes. The files to move / delete are these files. Once they are removed you should be able to set your Gtk theme and not have it revert.

KDE Sysadmin
Gotaro
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Yes, you still should delete + move those files. Do not use the Qt4 configuration tool, it will interfere with KDE config tools.

The KDE Colours control module creates a GTK colour configuration file. If these are present they might interfere with the operation of normal Gtk themes. The files to move / delete are these files. Once they are removed you should be able to set your Gtk theme and not have it revert.

Well, I think that definitely changed things for the better. Now, when I click apply, it actually tells me I need to restart KDE for changes to take effect. It wasn't even telling me that before.. (It was still updating on the fly, though)
But now I can't get the GTX theme I want to work.. I know it's not your problem at all, but if you ever get a spare chance, could you maybe look and just see if the theme is broken?
It's called VistaBut, here is the gnome-look link, but I had to d/l it from the attachment in the last post here, and remove .txt from the filename.

Sorry I'm so difficult! It's just that there are SOOO many FAQs and support forum posts dealing with the issues I'm having that are just plain old. I find 5 different answers, all for older versions of KDE or other OS's, and none of them work. I even find Kubuntu 8.10 posts saying to put themes in ~/.themes! That folder doesn't exist, and when I make it and put the file in it, it doesn't do anything (I tried putting both the unarchived folder AND the tar.gz). My themes folder is Root>usr>share>themes. I've also been told to edit ~/.xinitrc, which didn't exist. I had to look and find it in Root>etc>X11>xinit>. The list goes on. Anyway, like I said, I really am sorry for being a pain! So I really very much appreciate you! :) I'd give you +2 rep if I could :P.

--Edit--
Actually, with the Moomex theme I was using before, it still has the same issue of not saving the color of the menus. :( Could it be a Qt interaction? Also, I had already edited the Qt4 Config app before you told me not to. If I can only get VistaBut to work, I'll leave all of this business in the past! VistaBut won't even load for me on the first try, but I have faith it will save the settings after it does work once!

Last edited by Gotaro on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If you wish to use your Gtk themes, then you need to disable use KDE colours in Non-KDE apps. Otherwise KDE will override them. Once you have disabled this option and logged out + in again, your Gtk theme will likely be applied without issue.

KDE Sysadmin
Gotaro
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:If you wish to use your Gtk themes, then you need to disable use KDE colours in Non-KDE apps. Otherwise KDE will override them. Once you have disabled this option and logged out + in again, your Gtk theme will likely be applied without issue.

Huh? That's what I've been doing all along, though. It's a radio button, so there's no way for me to even accidentally have "use KDE colors.." checked. That said, I re-enabled VistaBut, relogged, and there was no change. None of the images are showing up.. It's like a plain GTK setting with everything at default. There aren't even any special colors or fonts. It's okay. I can tell you are done helping me. Thanks a lot, man! :)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I seem to have managed to confuse myself terribly today. If you remove those files I previously specified, then set your theme in the GNOME control center( or equivilant Gtk control center but not System Settings ) then relog, does VistaBut work?

KDE Sysadmin