This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Cannot change log-in design

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Englander
Registered Member

Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:55 am
openSUSE 11.1 x86-64
KDE 4.1.3 (also 4.1.2)
German Language

Error on clicking OK button after applying different design in >system settings>log-in manager (German: >Systemeinstellugen>Anmeldungsmanager )

Error dialog contains message:

Command /usr/bin/kcmschell4 kdm --lang de not found

(German: Befehl /usr/bin/kcmschell4 kdm --lang de nicht gefunden)

The design is not changed.

Any ideas?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

RE: Cannot change log-in design

Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:19 pm
I have seen this error before. This is caused by specific patches by distributions to KDE, which do not work correctly.
Please ensure your system is fully updated, and then contact your distribution.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Ahmad Samir
Registered Member
OS

Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:27 pm
I think the command is /usr/bin/kcmshell4 , Anyway make sure you have locales-de and kde4-l10n-de installed.

Does selecting a different language from the drop down list in the login manager give an error too?

Last edited by Ahmad Samir on Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Englander
Registered Member

Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:18 pm
medo3891 wrote:I think the command is /usr/bin/kcmshell4 , Anyway make sure you have locales-de and kde4-l10n-de installed.

Does selecting a different language from the drop down list in the login manager give an error too?

Hello bcooksley

I can confirm that the KDE4-|10n-de is installed. Also, for every German language rpm installed the equivalent British English language rpm is installed. Never-the-less, the log-in manager only offers German in the drop down list.

I have also discovered that the cannot fing kcmschell error message occurs on starting the log-in manager, not on closing the log-in manager as I previously stated. The log-in manager covers the error message dialog, that is to say the error message stays in the background which is why I have not noticed it before.

I guess I will wait until KDE4.2 makes it to the openSUSE/KDE4:Backports repository as this is a working machine. Although the original KDE 4 UI graphics are especially good...

Englander
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:38 am
This error is because of an distro specific patch to include Administrator mode support. I believe other distributions along with openSUSE also use it, and as seen above it is broken. You can find KDE 4.2 in KDE:KDE4:Factory I believe.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]