This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] Darkened Screen on Startup

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
DaveBusey
Registered Member

[SOLVED] Darkened Screen on Startup

Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:41 am
Hi KDE folks,
I am a very new KDE enthusiast. (I just installed openSUSE 11.0 about two months ago after experimenting with the live-CD version for a couple of months). But I've had two crises dealing with keystroke fine tuning and screen appearance control loss. For each of these questions, I'm just looking for a reference or two in the online literature which I've not been able to locate. Even though my openSUSE/KDE installed and openSUSE/KDE live-CD do NOT let me see the screen, I am able to use my Fedora8/Gnome-liveCD to operate successfully. I can even use that Fedora-live to move around on the filesystem which the openSUSE wrote at installation time. Fedora automatically mounted the hard drive partions, so I can retrieve and save files. With Fedora's terminal application, I can also work within the shell interface to examine and modfy appropriate files.

(1) Where might I find information on how, using the shell, to get my display to operate properly?

(2) Where might I find information on how to get the keystroke interpreter to stop doubling up every key I type? It will also need to be at the shell level, since I have tweaked every possible combination that I could in the KDE level settings subcategories of Keyboard & Mouse and Adaptive/Accessibility features.

Any references to which you might point me would be appreciated.

Acer Aspire 5520-5891, AMD TK-57 (64x2), NVIDIA GeForce 7000M (rev a2)
KDE 4.4.0, Linux 2.6.31.12-0.2-desktop x86_64