This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE 4.2 Kicker Numerous Problems

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
W1ReD
Registered Member
OS

KDE 4.2 Kicker Numerous Problems

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:42 pm
Hello,

For my first post I figured I'd post a doozy. I have lots of questions about KDE 4.2; I haven't really been involved with KDE since 2002 when I had installed KDE on a Gentoo Box in college.

SO...recently I've decided to get back into it; I decided to run openSUSE 11.1 64-Bit on my Dell Inspiron 1720 (Core 2 Duo T7500; Intel Graphics and Sound).

When I downloaded the image for openSUSE KDE 4.1 came with it and I was happy with it but I figured why not upgrade to KDE 4.2.

This is where the problems came in. MOST of my problems are Kicker Related although I do have one sound issue but that's more openSUSE related and certainly not supposed to be in this particular forum.

1) When you load up KDE 4.2 to begin with (directly after installation) half of my icons I had set up on KDE 4.1 are missing or turned into the little 'file' icon with 1s and 0s on it indicative of them being broken links. I deleted them and tried re-adding the widgets or links but the icon disappears once I add it on! Konquerer for example: The icon shows up and the disappears. I then just have a blank space on my Kicker that does nothing when I click it. Suggestions?

2) I logged out and logged back in and now my Desktop Switcher Widget is missing. I went to 'add widget' but I don't see one that is there. I can use the ole' CTRL-F1/F2/F3/F4 switch technique but its irritating to not have it where it was just before I rebooted.

3) What would make the Kicker not show up on all my desktops? Right now it is working but before I rebooted it wasn't! I can't figure out what turns it on or off!

4) The text on my Task Manager Widget is dark and fuzzy as though it has shadows behind it yet I can't seem to change them.

I thank you in advance for any help you may have on these; nothing world ending but annoying enough where I may just go back to 4.1.

Thanks!

W1ReD
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You may have some packages that were not upgraded. This applies in particular to the "Desktop Switcher Widget". Your configuration file could also be incompatible. Try running this command, which will reset your desktop configuration to default.

Code: Select all
kquitapp plasma && rm -rf $KDEHOME/share/config/plasm* && plasma &

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
W1ReD
Registered Member
OS
Thanks, this seems to have made it more stable and I got my desktop switcher back.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If your problems have been resolved, could you please mark this thread as solved? ( It's Solved button, beside New Reply ) Thanks in advance.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]