This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

1 Theme different styles in programs - Is this NORMAL??

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
QueenZ
Registered Member
OS
So i have opened a few programs and they all have different look.. is this normal?? How can it be?? Shouldn't there be one look in all programs?

See for yourself > http://i39.tinypic.com/2wgc2te.jpg

Zarin
KDE Developer
OS
Dolphin is KDE
Adept is Qt4 (I think?)
gedit is Gtk+
OO.o is a rebel and doesn't follow anything.

Having a consistent desktop is nice, but it only works if you only use programs from the same toolkit. Mismatching them is not healthy. =)

You can fix the Gtk+/Qt/KDE ones by using QGtkStyle, qtk-qt-engine or QtCurve. OO.o I have no idea.

Last edited by Zarin on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QueenZ
Registered Member
OS
Zarin wrote:Dolphin is KDE

KDE is not a toolkit..

TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
No, Qt is a toolkit. Gnome programs use GTK, KDE programs use QT. Because of this, QT plays well with KDE while GTK does not.

Last edited by TheBlackCat on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
Zarin
KDE Developer
OS
QueenZ wrote:
Zarin wrote:Dolphin is KDE

KDE is not a toolkit..

For the definition of the word, yes that is true. A KDE application (That is, one that uses kdelibs) is not a pure Qt application though and as such has different settings which you can see by it having a different appearance. If Adept has a file dialog you will also notice that it doesn't match up to one in a KDE application either (Or did they fix that? I can't remember).

Last edited by Zarin on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QueenZ
Registered Member
OS
TheBlackCat wrote:No, Qt is a toolkit. Gnome programs use GTK, KDE programs use QT. Because of this, QT plays well with KDE while GTK does not.

What do you mean GNOME programs use GTK and KDE pograms use QT? I don't need a desktop environment to un GTK or Qt programs.. :-S

TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
QueenZ wrote:What do you mean GNOME programs use GTK and KDE pograms use QT? I don't need a desktop environment to un GTK or Qt programs.. :-S

You don't need KDE to run Qt apps, but you do need Qt to run KDE and KDE apps. That is because KDE uses Qt for its graphics and a lot of other stuff. Similarly, you don't need Gnome to rune GTK, but you do need GTK to run Gnome and Gnome apps.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
QueenZ
Registered Member
OS
TheBlackCat - exactly :)

Btw, i succesfully installed qtk-qt-engine and QtCurve and now all my GTK+ apps are also using the same theme... Firefox, Gimp and all other ;)

except Synaptic... what is wrong with it? Is it even using GTK+?

cfeck
KDE Developer
if you run synaptic as root, remember that each user has its own configuration.

Christoph Feck
JontheEchinda
KDE Developer
OS
Adept is KDE and not Qt, but it is ran as root which means that it will have its own theme configuration, as mentioned above.

JontheEchinda, proud to be a member of the Kubuntu team since July 2008.
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
QueenZ wrote:except Synaptic... what is wrong with it? Is it even using GTK+?

I'm not sure (and it's been a while since I've used a Debian-based distro), but as far as I can recall it has always looked a bit out-of-place even in a Gnome-session so...is it possible it is using an older version of GTK than the other gtk-based apps (i.e. gtk version 1.something rather than 2.something)?

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.