This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE toys in KDE 4.2 [solved]

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
roadrash
Registered Member

KDE toys in KDE 4.2 [solved]

Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:46 pm
I am using kubuntu & I am new to using KDE4. I have just installed the Kdetoys using synaptic but I cannot see the kweather applet in the list of widgets/applets?. I can only see the LCD weather widget. I prefer the original kweather applet to the LCD weather. Can someone tell me what i need to do. Also I dont understand. Is a widget a new name for applet?

Last edited by roadrash on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeaJey
Registered Member
OS

RE: KDE toys in KDE 4.2

Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:00 pm
roadrash wrote:I am using kubuntu & I am new to using KDE4. I have just installed the Kdetoys using synaptic but I cannot see the kweather applet in the list of widgets/applets?. I can only see the LCD weather widget. I prefer the original kweather applet to the LCD weather. Can someone tell me what i need to do. Also I dont understand. Is a widget a new name for applet?

Customizable Weather Plasmoid
simple weather forecast
SMHI weather plasmoid

kubuntu 10.04 AMD64 - KDE 4.4
AMD - radeonHD - M-Audio revolution 5.1
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:46 pm
SMHI weather forecast is only for Swedish users, or users who want to know the weather in sweden.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
Hans
Administrator
OS

Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:13 pm

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:30 pm
I'm using YAWP in 4.2 right now, so I can confirm that it works.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
roadrash
Registered Member

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:12 pm
TheBlackCat wrote:I'm using YAWP in 4.2 right now, so I can confirm that it works.

Thanks thats what I am looking for. But still can someone tell me what is the difference between an applet and a Widget?

Last edited by roadrash on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saphir
Registered Member
OS

Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:31 am
Actually, I have seen developers use both "Applet" and "widget" to designate the same thing : the little applications that Plasma is able to manage.

However, Aaron Seigo explained in a blog post that developers agreed to use the term of "widget" since it is more compatible with the name used by other systems, like Vista Widget, Yahoo Widget... and with what casual users are used to, with the idea of being coherent to avoid this kind of applet/widget questions.

Here's the link to his post:

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/02/why-widget-brother.html

So, according to this, you should say "a Plasma widget" ;-)