This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to give a folder an icon?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Angel Blue01
Registered Member
OS

How to give a folder an icon?

Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:06 am
I'd like to give the main folders I have in my home directory specific icons.

openSUSE already gave the ~/Documents folder an icon and the Desktop, both them using folders assigned by KDE 4.2, so if I change icon theme those icons change as well.

I'd like to do the same kind of thing for my ~/Videos, my ~/Web Pages folders etc. Now making their icons something defined by KDE would be great, but of course it doesn't include enough icons for a folder for every possible type of data someone might have so I guess I have to create images myself if it's even possible to give a folder that "icon" in KDE.

It seems icons in KDE are PNGs, with an image for every size, (I'm accustomed to the Windows icons which are files that contain the images, including different color palettes, within) so even if it's possible to define an icon for a folder, using would I have to make PNGs for every size (16x16 32x32 64x64 128x128) or am I stuck with KDE-defined folder icons like "Documents"?

Proudly dual-booting openSUSE 11.1 with KDE 4.3 and Windows Vista on a Toshiba A205-S4577 since July 2007.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

RE: How to give a folder an icon?

Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:31 am
Which specific folders do you need? There are quite a few available.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:56 am
What is the difference in creating multiple sizes in one file and multiple sizes in multiple files?

You could create only the 128x128, and it will be scaled as needed.

To assign a new icon, right-click the folder, select Properties, and then click the button with icon on it. You'll be presented with the icon browsing dialogue.

Cheers!

Angel Blue01
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:51 pm
ivan wrote:What is the difference in creating multiple sizes in one file and multiple sizes in multiple files?

You could create only the 128x128, and it will be scaled as needed.

To assign a new icon, right-click the folder, select Properties, and then click the button with icon on it. You'll be presented with the icon browsing dialogue.

Cheers!

I didn't know you had to create only one PNG, that eliminates the need to keep multiple images, either in one file like Windows or multiple files like KDE seems to use in icon sets.

And there's a UI for doing it, even better! :)

Thinking about it some more, I guess I'd like some sort of "emblems" feature, where the user selects an icon, either out of those provided or an external image, and that icon gets inset over the generic folder icon, with both changing, if the user chose one provided by the system, with the icon theme: User creates a folder called say "KDE stuff", selects a KDE icon from the existing Select Icon dialog like you guided me to, but checks a box "Set this icon as an emblem" and then the KDE icon appears over the folder, and if the user changes his/her icon theme to say Tango, the KDE icon and the regular folder icon automatically become Tangoized, making a "KDE stuff" Tangoized "icon". This probably isn't possible but it'd eliminate the need for extra icons based on Oxygen that are on kde-look

Proudly dual-booting openSUSE 11.1 with KDE 4.3 and Windows Vista on a Toshiba A205-S4577 since July 2007.
sayakb
Administrator
OS

Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:41 pm
Presently, dolphin/konqueror do not support emblems for folders (which nautilus file browser does).
You might want to take a look at this: http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.ph ... tent=74731
^^ This would be a collection of folder icons with emblem like overlapping icons.

Angel Blue01
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:04 pm
I know it's not in KDE yet, I think it'd be nice to have :)

sayakb
Administrator
OS

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:29 pm
In that case, I'd recommend you to wait for a few more days. We (KDE Forum team) are coming up with something that'd be a good place for nice ideas like these :)

Hans
Administrator
OS

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:46 pm
I recall reading about support for icon emblems in the icon cache mechanisms in KDE a few months (years?) ago. If I remember correctly it was on planetKDE, so maybe you can find that blog post with google.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:18 pm
The underlying system ( KIcon ) in kdelibs supports emblems. It requires that the names of the the emblem icons be passed to it when creating the icon, which Dolphin / Konqueror are not doing currently.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Camden
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:08 am
Angel Blue01 wrote:I'd like to give the main folders I have in my home directory specific icons.

openSUSE already gave the ~/Documents folder an icon and the Desktop, both them using folders assigned by KDE 4.2, so if I change icon theme those icons change as well.

I'd like to do the same kind of thing for my ~/Videos, my ~/Web Pages folders etc. Now making their icons something defined by KDE would be great, but of course it doesn't include enough icons for a folder for every possible type of data someone might have so I guess I have to create images myself if it's even possible to give a folder that "icon" in KDE.

It seems icons in KDE are PNGs, with an image for every size, (I'm accustomed to the Windows icons which are files that contain the images, including different color palettes, within) so even if it's possible to define an icon for a folder, using would I have to make PNGs for every size (16x16 32x32 64x64 128x128) or am I stuck with KDE-defined folder icons like "Documents"?

:-O Right click the folder. Access Properties (login as root first) than change the icon by clicking it and choose. :-)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:09 am
Logging in as root is not required, as you should not be giving folder icons to system level folders.
You are able to freely give icons to folders under your Home directory as a normal user. If you do them under your home directory as root, then you will not be able to change the directory icon in the future as a normal user.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]