This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Ugly Border with Kwin FX Off

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
zak89
Registered Member
OS

Ugly Border with Kwin FX Off

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:49 am
I noticed that on my desktop machine (openSUSE 11.1 with KDE 4.2.0 from Factory), the Oxygen plasma theme has thick black borders (that look like they were drawn in MS Paint) around pop-up boxes, the KMenu, and KRunner whenever I disabled the KWin effects. If I choose the Aya theme, there's no border. However, on my laptop (same openSUSE 11.1 w KDE 4.2.0 from Factory) both plasma themes cause this black border. Since I don't always run the KWin effects, I find this very annoying. Has anyone else noticed this? Any clues on how to get rid of it?

zak89, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

RE: Ugly Border with Kwin FX Off

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:38 am
This is because Plasma uses compositing for the nice rounded edges. When KWin effects are disabled, Plasma follows suit, and disables its compositing as well.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
zak89
Registered Member
OS

Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:38 pm
Hmm, interesting. However, all other plasma animations and effects are still running. Are they not using compositing?

I wonder why Plasma can't just keep simple clean lines without compositing? Most other non-compositing wms I've seen don't have ugly borders.

zak89, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
sayakb
Administrator
OS

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:17 pm
That'd be because the widgets have not been given opaque borders yet (atleast in your distro). Kubuntu gives me fairly nice opaque borders.

Brandybuck
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:18 pm
I don't see these thick borders when I have effects off. Looking at screenshots around the web, I'm not seeing them there either. It sounds like Plasma is trying to composite when compositing is off. I would log a bug on this (and include screenshot).

Don't look back! (Or you might see the giants whose shoulders we stand on)