This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[kde4.2] widget konsole?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
msoeken
Mentor
OS

RE: [kde4.2] widget konsole?

Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:06 pm
We have the same problems. We can download it, install it and run it, but it just shows no widget in the plasmoid at all.

[size=x-small]code | [url=cia.vc/stats/author/msoeken]cia.vc[/url] | [url=kde.org/support]donating KDE[/url] | [url=tinyurl.com/cto4ns]wishlist[/url][/size]
JMB
Registered Member
OS

Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:25 pm
msoeken wrote:We have the same problems. We can download it, install it and run it, but it just shows no widget in the plasmoid at all.

I also get an empty plasmoid, but if I click it a terminal window pops up. (It acts just like, for example, the battery widget). Not exactly the behaviour I expected but it seems to work.
GeneralZod
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:34 pm
JMB wrote:
msoeken wrote:We have the same problems. We can download it, install it and run it, but it just shows no widget in the plasmoid at all.

I also get an empty plasmoid, but if I click it a terminal window pops up. (It acts just like, for example, the battery widget). Not exactly the behaviour I expected but it seems to work.

This matches my experience - I don't think Konsolator is, or is intended to be, the kind of thing the OP was asking for.

Someone should probably ping Robert about this bug:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=163178

which would enable a properly embedded Plasma Konsole (with rotations and everything ! ;))

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=156478

ssj-gz.blogspot.com: KDE4Daily, Konqueror4 Restoration
JMB
Registered Member
OS

Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:45 pm
I guess I'd describe konsolator as a plasma version of yakuake rather than as a konsole widget for the plasma desktop. I've only tested it for five minutes but it seems to work pretty well if you assign a keyboard shortcut to it.
miskieusz
Registered Member

Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:28 pm
JMB wrote:

I got it to work too but there's like an empty window and nothing more. I can't type in anything so it's not really the type of behaviour I expected either;)
2bad;/

Last edited by miskieusz on Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeneralZod
KDE Developer
OS

Mon May 11, 2009 7:14 pm
The bug:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=163178

is finally fixed, and thanks to Jared Kells, we have this!

http://etotheipiplusone.com/konsole-plasmoid.png

The source is remarkably simple, so it could probably be polished up into a nice replacement for Konsolator.

ssj-gz.blogspot.com: KDE4Daily, Konqueror4 Restoration
ktulu
Registered Member

Re: [kde4.2] widget konsole?

Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:28 am
A days ago appeared a new plasmoid called "Plasmocon". It looks good:

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.ph ... ent=108120
f1r3br4nd
Registered Member

Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:11 am
It's okay, but I don't want a konsole sitting around on my desktop. What I really want is a popup konsole that lives on the edge of the screen.

The author of Plasmacon says they can't get it to do that, but I got it to behave like a popup konsole by putting it inside a panel and then having that panel always hide. The problem is that for some reason if Plasmacon senses that it's inside a panel it shrinks down to an inconvenient size. That and it fails to grab mouse and keyboard input unless all other windows are minimized.

It looks like it's written in Python, so I thought I would poke through the code and see if I could fix it, but I can't figure out where user-installed widgets are stored. Does anybody know? Thanks.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:48 am
User installed widgets are stored in ~/.kde4/share/apps/plasma/ I believe.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
f1r3br4nd
Registered Member

Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:27 am
bcooksley wrote:User installed widgets are stored in ~/.kde4/share/apps/plasma/ I believe.

Thanks, I eventually found it, but couldn't make heads or tails of it. Then I paid attention to the Yakuake comment and looked into it. Turns out Yakuake already is exactly the pull-down console I wanted, so no further hacking was needed.

Well, almost none. It turns out that Yakuake is not aware of multiple Konsole session profiles and cannot take any useful command line arguments. I *was* able to use dbus-send to force it to open a new tab with a non-default profile. The problem is, that if I then want to open as second tab with a non-default profile it opens right on top of the first one, and there is no way to access the original until the session that's sitting on top of it exits. New sessions opened with the default profile appear in new tabs normally.

Why am I doing this? Well, there are several console utilities I use all the time, and I have dedicated profiles for all of them that launch these respective ustilities instead of bash shells. It would be nice to be able to call them up with one keypress.
google01103
Manager

Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:50 pm

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x