This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[kde4.2] widget konsole?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
miskieusz
Registered Member

[kde4.2] widget konsole?

Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:49 pm
I've got to admit that KDE4.2 rulz!:)
but I'm missing one thing. I was wondering if it was possible to get a konsole like widget on the desktop? I've achieved something like that by setting max transparency setting border to none but I still get the 'konsole' on the task manager.
Is it possible? Does such a widget exist?
Thanks in advance:)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

RE: [kde4.2] widget konsole?

Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:33 am
This widget does exist, it is called "Konsolator" and is available from KDE Playground ( trunk/playground/base/plasma/applets/konsolator )

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
miskieusz
Registered Member

Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:48 pm
Great!
one more thing now... How do I use it?:p
how do i compile it?
msoeken
Mentor
OS

Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:50 pm
Ensure that you install your kde-devel packages and then do the following in a shell:
Code: Select all
svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/playground/base/plasma/applets/konsolator
cd konsolator
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix` ..
make
sudo make install

Cheers, m

[size=x-small]code | [url=cia.vc/stats/author/msoeken]cia.vc[/url] | [url=kde.org/support]donating KDE[/url] | [url=tinyurl.com/cto4ns]wishlist[/url][/size]
msoeken
Mentor
OS

Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:55 pm
Ah, by the way: I tested it and do not see a konsole widget in the plasmoid. But you always have to expect that with playground things

[size=x-small]code | [url=cia.vc/stats/author/msoeken]cia.vc[/url] | [url=kde.org/support]donating KDE[/url] | [url=tinyurl.com/cto4ns]wishlist[/url][/size]
miskieusz
Registered Member

Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:30 pm
Thanks to both of you.
Unfortunately it doesn't show up in plasmoid as msoeken said but at least I can hope for some further development since it already exist;)
I've achieved it partially by getting a transparent borderless konsole on the desktop;)
thanks once again!
JMB
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:00 am
@miskieusz: I have a similar setup with a couple of borderless transparent konsole windows on the desktop. However, the shadows are still showing so the konsoles aren't completely transparent. Do you have this as well or have you found a way to disable the shadows?
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:55 pm
miskieusz wrote:but I'm missing one thing. I was wondering if it was possible to get a konsole like widget on the desktop? I've achieved something like that by setting max transparency setting border to none but I still get the 'konsole' on the task manager.

Well, until the widget mentioned works as intended you can do this as a work-around:

*Hit alt-f3 and choose "Special application settings"
*In the preferences tab, check "Skip taskbar" and "Skip pager"
*Since you want to use like a widget, I take it you always want it on the desktop. So, click the geometry tab. Check the desktop entry. In the 1st pulldown menu, choose "Force" and in the second choose "All desktops".

Those three things together with what you've already done should accomplish what you wish for.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
JMB
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:57 pm
@Kryten2X4B: Do you know a way to make it ignore the window switcher (Alt+Tab) as well?
My console windows are set to "Keep Below Others" to keep them tied to the desktop but I haven't found a way to have them not appear in the list when switching windows.

Last edited by JMB on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:10 pm
JMB wrote:@Kryten2X4B: Do you know a way to make it ignore the window switcher (Alt+Tab) as well?
My console windows are set to "Keep Below Others" to keep them tied to the desktop but I haven't found a way to have them not appear in the list when switching windows.

I'm afraid not. I've tried to find the answer to that too, but in vain so far. I had hoped the Workarounds/Window type would do the trick but it doesn't make a difference - at least not on my setup.

JMB
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:39 pm
@Kryten2X4B: Yeah, I've tried all those options as well with nothing to show for it. Well, my current setup works pretty nicely, but it's a little annoying not to be able to get the last few tweaks right. The whole "too many options" *is* why people keep bashing KDE after all :)
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:17 pm
JMB wrote:@Kryten2X4B: Yeah, I've tried all those options as well with nothing to show for it.

I must say I'm surprised. Those few "tricks" has never failed me in order to get a ordinary app to semi-behave like a plasmoid (save the alt-tab and the plasmoid resize/rotate handles that is). Granted, I've only tried it with Kmess, Konsole and one AdobeAIR app but still (from 4.1 up to 4.2.1).

JMB wrote:Well, my current setup works pretty nicely, but it's a little annoying not to be able to get the last few tweaks right. The whole "too many options" *is* why people keep bashing KDE after all :)

Heh. True in its way...but I take too many options over too few options any day of the week :)

Still, if all you want is constant and easy access to a shell - have you considered yakuake instead? In my opinion, it's a god-send if you spend a lot of time in the shell.

JMB
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:02 am
@Kryten2X4B: Actually, Yakuake is one of my favourite apps. However, in KDE4 I get odd rendering issues, especially in the open/close animations. I've also been looking for a way to remove the thick grey border that frames the embedded konsole kpart, but so far I haven't found a solution that works for me.
It's a bit embarrasing, but since I moved to KDE4 on a permanent basis I've become hooked on look 'n feel stuff. And I used to be a die hard function-over-form guy! I guess the overall prettyness of KDE4 can be counter-productive... :)
Anyway, my main reason for sticking transparent konsole windows to the desktop is to give top and other cli tools a nice place to run.
miskieusz
Registered Member

Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:21 pm
Kryten2X4B wrote:
miskieusz wrote:but I'm missing one thing. I was wondering if it was possible to get a konsole like widget on the desktop? I've achieved something like that by setting max transparency setting border to none but I still get the 'konsole' on the task manager.

Well, until the widget mentioned works as intended you can do this as a work-around:

*Hit alt-f3 and choose "Special application settings"
*In the preferences tab, check "Skip taskbar" and "Skip pager"
*Since you want to use like a widget, I take it you always want it on the desktop. So, click the geometry tab. Check the desktop entry. In the 1st pulldown menu, choose "Force" and in the second choose "All desktops".

Those three things together with what you've already done should accomplish what you wish for.

Yup, that's what I've done but still it's only almost like an applet;)
Guess I'll have to wait 'till the konsolator gets some more developement
miskieusz
Registered Member

Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:45 pm
Ok...
I've upgraded to KDE 4.2.1 and downloaded the latest konsolator ( dunno whether it's newer then the last one I've used... forgot to check:P ) and I get the Konsolator plasmid which is cool. But it doesn't seem to do anything:(
Any help?:)