This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Customizing "Create new" menu

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Angel Blue01
Registered Member
OS

Customizing "Create new" menu

Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:40 pm
Is there an easy way to customize the "Create new" menu that's part of the context menu in Dolphin/Konqueror?

I would like to add the option for OpenDocument Text (application/vnd.oaisis.opendocument.text), and remove the option for "Link to Devices"

Proudly dual-booting openSUSE 11.1 with KDE 4.3 and Windows Vista on a Toshiba A205-S4577 since July 2007.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

RE: Customizing "Create new" menu

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:59 am
It is possible, however you will need to use a text editor.

These are called "Templates" and are specified by the XDG standard. KDE locates them at one of the locations specified in $XDG_DATA_DIRS/templates or in $XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR

You should be able to manually create your OpenDocument template and place it in a directory which you specify with $XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Ahmad Samir
Registered Member
OS

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:39 am
In my system (Mandriva cooker) it's in /usr/share/templates, for OOo text document create an empty OOo text document and save it in /usr/share/templates/.source/ooo-text.odt . Next create a ooo-text.desktop file in /usr/share/templates and put this in it:
Code: Select all
[Desktop Entry]
Name=OpenDocument Text
Type=Link
URL=.source/ooo-text.odt
Icon=application-vnd.oasis.opendocument.text

See if this works.
Angel Blue01
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:30 pm
Thanks! It would ne nice to have a GUI for this but it works :-)

Proudly dual-booting openSUSE 11.1 with KDE 4.3 and Windows Vista on a Toshiba A205-S4577 since July 2007.
Ahmad Samir
Registered Member
OS

Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:21 pm
It's configured out of the box here in Mandriva, I don't know about OpenSuse since I don't run it.

Anyway glad it worked. If the issue is solved can you mark the thread solved, just click the Solved button in your original post.