This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Panel Popup Border

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
JMB
Registered Member
OS

Panel Popup Border

Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:18 am
I get some inconsistent behaviour from the "popups" from widgets attached to panels. Some widgets (such as Device Notifier and Quick Access) draw the plasma border nearest the panel and others (Folder View and Battery Monitor) do not.

This is not a huge issue of course but it is visually distracting when some popups are nicely rounded complete windows and other have an odd cut-off look. Especially when the cut-off edge of the popup isn't fully covered by the panel (I don't like full width panels).

Is there a way to force widgets to draw all four borders?

Image Image
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

RE: Panel Popup Border

Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:17 am
The Device Notifier behaves like the Power Management popup in Trunk currently. This is part of usability work I believe ( some principle I can't remember )

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Hans
Administrator
OS

Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:39 am
The popup to the right is an extender, so it can for example be dragged (in the "title bar) and dropped on the desktop if your widgets are unlocked. I don't know why the bottom border isn't drawn, but I hope that the extenders will look as if they 'grow out' of the panel in the future. See this early mockup for example.

Last edited by Hans on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
JMB
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:55 am
So trunk is moving in the opposite direction from what I was looking for? Is there a usability expert around who can explain the reasoning behind this? I'm curious about things like this! :)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:14 am
The plasmoids also look better when it looks like they pop out of the panel. You may wish to ask on the Plasma development list if adding the border when the panel is not underneath the section in question, which I think would be a good impasse.

KDE Sysadmin
JMB
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:46 pm
bcooksley wrote:You may wish to ask on the Plasma development list [...]

Stupid question: Is that the "Developers / Interface & Design" forum or is there a separate forum for Plasma developers somewhere?
Hans
Administrator
OS

Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:05 pm
I think bcooksley was referring to the mailing list, which is plasma-devel@kde.org. If you find it too troublesome to subscribe, I think you can just send a mail to the list and ask them to CC you on replies.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
JMB
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:32 pm
I don't believe it! I just found this at the top of the list of new items at kde-apps.org:
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Fl ... ent=100766

Pretty much exactly what I was looking for!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:51 am
Glad to hear you managed to find a solution. You may wish to file a feature request at bugs.kde.org requesting that the Extender has a border drawn on the bottom if it sticks out over the edge of the panel.

KDE Sysadmin