This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

truly transparent panel/taskbar

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ardealul
Registered Member

truly transparent panel/taskbar

Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:31 am
Hi all,

i played around with the transparency settings of the kde panel (kicker) and got kinda disappointed :( *sniff*

Is there any way to make the panel truly transparent ? What i mean by that is i would like to hide my "fully" transparent panels, so that when i go to the edge of the screen, only the icons/tasks/other objects on the panel appear.

Basically make the panels transparent based on the window that they get on top of, and not the desktop. I think OS X has this functionality.

I hope i expressed myself in an understandable manner :)
JontheEchinda
KDE Developer
OS

RE: truly transparent panel/taskbar

Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:52 pm
Transparency in KDE3 was somewhat of a hack job. It might be possible to achieve true transparency with Compiz, but I'm not too terribly sure. In KDE4 as long as you have desktop effects enabled (Either Compiz or KWin) and your chosen Plasma panel theme has transparency, true transparency will be used.

JontheEchinda, proud to be a member of the Kubuntu team since July 2008.
Primoz
OS

RE: truly transparent panel/taskbar

Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:04 pm
ardealul wrote:Hi all,

i played around with the transparency settings of the kde panel (kicker) and got kinda disappointed :( *sniff*

Is there any way to make the panel truly transparent ? What i mean by that is i would like to hide my "fully" transparent panels, so that when i go to the edge of the screen, only the icons/tasks/other objects on the panel appear.

Basically make the panels transparent based on the window that they get on top of, and not the desktop. I think OS X has this functionality.

I hope i expressed myself in an understandable manner :)

Well if you use KDE4 you could try Bare Naked plasma theme (developed by me; again selfish promotion). But I must say that it's a bit strange with Lancelot in kde4.2.1; I wanted to make it transparent, but KDE4.2 didn't supported that and left it semi done.
Anyway here's the screenshot:

Primoz, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.