This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

slow performance/hdd led stays on

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rha
Registered Member
OS

slow performance/hdd led stays on

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:08 pm
I noticed this a while ago, since using KDE 3.x, and now in KDE 4, after some hours using the system, specially when using konqueror, hdd led on my system goes crazy, and it gets really slow, I have to reboot the system. it happened before on a laptop, and now on a desktop, but it's the same thing.:-S the only thing I remember using when it happens is konqueror. could it be a setting on it?
thanks for any suggestion.

Waking up strong in the morning, walking in straight lines:star:
TeaAge
Alumni
OS
I'm not sure if this setting is also in KDE 3 available, but in KDE 4 you can got to:
Preferences -> configure Konqueror -> Surf in the Internet -> Buffer/Cache (translated from german, maybe it's called different).

There you can handle how much space of your harddisk is used for cache. 50000 is more than enough I think.

Regards,
TeaAge

TeaAge, very proud KDE 4 User and to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Virtually all web browsers ( Firefox, Arora, Konqueror, etc. ) leak memory like sieves. I usually have to restart Arora at least once an hour ( of very active tab opening / closing / page browsing ) otherwise my system hits swap and becomes painfully slow.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
rha
Registered Member
OS
Hello, I'll try the konqueror config, but about the web browsers, is there any way to prevent this? or at least make it less painfull?
thanks a lot for your replies!:D

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Unfortunately, it is pretty hard to fix, given the complex nature of what web browsers have to do these days.
The only solution I am aware of is restarting the browser.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
rha
Registered Member
OS

RE: slow performance/hdd led stays on

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:59 pm
well, that's good enough. thanks a lot, if there's any update, I'll let you know!:thumbs_up:

rha
Registered Member
OS

RE: slow performance/hdd led stays on

Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:14 am
well, looks like it's working fine, but anyways,a failed update to 4.2 left my system with no kde at all... so most likely reinstall mandriva will be my last option. thanks a lot for the help!