This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE Startup files?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sandfly
Registered Member

KDE Startup files?

Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:53 pm
Newbie question - what configuration files are used to determine what KDE4 starts up? When I log in, I get 2 instances of the Task Manager running - and although I can kill one, I can't change the startup behaviour. So I want to find the relevant config file and edit it so it only starts one Task Manager instance.

Basically, I'm looking for the equivalent in KDE4 terms to a .profile or .bashrc file - the one that controls what I see when I start the KDE desktop. I know it's not as simple as that, but it also can't be that complicated, can it? Like I said, newbie question, but I have to start somewhere :-)

If there's any "Dummies Guide" to how KDE starts up (like "first startkde is called from FileA. Startkde calls FileB and FileC, which in turn look for Files D,E and F" etc etc) I'd be really grateful.

Thanks for any help,
Hans
Administrator
OS

RE: KDE Startup files?

Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:17 am
~/.kde/Autostart or ~/.kde4/Autostart (the path can be changed in System Settings. There's also a module for this: System Settings -> Advanced -> Autostart). Unless you've chosen to start with an empty session (default is Restore previous session I believe), KDE will also restore your session. You can configure this in System Settings -> Advanced -> Session Manager.

EDIT: Ah, with task manager, do you mean the plasmoid (widget)?

Last edited by Hans on Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
Ahmad Samir
Registered Member
OS

RE: KDE Startup files?

Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:13 am
When I log in, I get 2 instances of the Task Manager running - and although I can kill one, I can't change the startup behaviour. So I want to find the relevant config file and edit it so it only starts one Task Manager instance.

This is odd, the settings should stick as long as you log out normally and the system doesn't crash.

Remove the extra task manager then open a terminal and do:
Code: Select all
kquitapp plasma
plasma &

See if this makes a difference.

Another thing to look into are the permissions of ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma* (should be 3 files), see if you have write permissions.