This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] How to make a login screen?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Gringolio
Registered Member

[SOLVED] How to make a login screen?

Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:15 pm
Hello, I am new to linux and new to Kubuntu. I would like to make my own Login Screen for KDE. I got inspired by the login screens in kde-look.org :)
I was wondering if it is hard to make one? Are there any guides to making one? Are there any step-by-step guides? I am asking because I tried searching in google and failed to find anything about making Kde login screens or KDE themes...
Could someone point me to some place I could start learning to make login screens or splash screens etc.
I am sorry if this post is not in the right place ;/
Thank you for answers ;)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The KDE Login screen is managed by an application called "KDM". I do not know where to find documentation to make a theme however.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Gringolio
Registered Member
I think that many new linux users would appreciate a step-by-step guide which explains how login screens, splash screens and bootsplash work and how they can be modified. It is pretty obvious that after customizing desktop backgrounds, icons etc. people move to these elements. However I could not find any reasonable information about this topic...
P.S. I think that such guide would greatly increase the amount of people working on these things and therefore increase the amount of people interested in KDE.
Gringolio
Registered Member
I actually found how to do it... link
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tut ... asma/Theme
Angel Blue01
Registered Member
OS
I was going to ask this too! Actually the link points to creating Plasma themes, which define the look and feel of widgets on the desktop, not a KDM theme, unless I missed something...

Proudly dual-booting openSUSE 11.1 with KDE 4.3 and Windows Vista on a Toshiba A205-S4577 since July 2007.
Alec
Registered Member
OS
I remember making a KDM theme back in the day when themeing for KDM first appeared. Just take a theme that is similar to what you want to make, unpack it, replace the images, and experiment with editing the files. It wasn't too bad.

Since you don't want to log out every time you change the theme, you can use this old guide to put KDM in a window.

Edit: The kdmrc file is in /share/config/kdm/kdmrc

Last edited by Alec on Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get problems solved faster - get reply notifications through Jabber!