This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] Please Help How to restore kde4 taskbar to default?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mumrah
Registered Member
Hello all,
I was attempting to move my taskbar to the top of my screen.
Now my taskbar looks terrible. somehow my system tray got moved from the taskbar on to the desktop. The clock/calendar has gotten deleted how can i get them back? All other icons that were on the right are move over to the left.
Is there away to restore my taskbar back to how it was after install? Please help.
Attached is a screenshot of how my desktop looks.

Hans
Administrator
OS
From the Plasma FAQ:
Q: My panel is gone, how do I get it back?
A: [font=Courier]kquitapp plasma; rm $KDEHOME/share/config/plasma-appletsrc; plasma[/font]

This deletes your plasma settings, so you'll get the default configuration back. If running all the 3 commands at once doesn't work, try typing them in manually and wait a few seconds before running the next command.

(Note that the $KDEHOME environment variable may not be set. Try ~/.kde (Fedora, Kubuntu Intrepid, Debian, upstream default) or ~/.kde4 (OpenSUSE, Kubuntu Hardy and several others).)

Note that this restores your whole desktop to default, not only the panel ("taskbar" is just a widget that shows your tasks - might be good to know :-)).

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
mumrah
Registered Member
Thanks Hans,
That worked perfect my taskbar is restored to default.
Now how can i move it from the bottom to the top of screen?
mumrah,

Hans wrote:From the Plasma FAQ:
A: [font=Courier]kquitapp plasma; rm $KDEHOME/share/config/plasma-appletsrc; plasma[/font]

This deletes your plasma settings, so you'll get the default configuration back. If running all the 3 commands at once doesn't work, try typing them in manually and wait a few seconds before running the next command.

(Note that the $KDEHOME environment variable may not be set. Try ~/.kde (Fedora, Kubuntu Intrepid, Debian, upstream default) or ~/.kde4 (OpenSUSE, Kubuntu Hardy and several others).)

Note that this restores your whole desktop to default, not only the panel ("taskbar" is just a widget that shows your tasks - might be good to know :-)).

Last edited by mumrah on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hans
Administrator
OS
Click on the cashew Image on the panel, and you should see some configuration options. Move your mouse pointer above the button that says "Screen Edge", hold down the left mouse button and drag the panel to the top.

If you're satisfied with the answer, please mark the thread as solved by clicking on
which makes it easier for people with the same problem to find the thread.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
mumrah
Registered Member
That worked, Awesome.
Thanks again Hans,
ddoucette
Registered Member
Hi, I'm not sure how to enter the commands you suggested below. I opened a terminal and pasted the commands. They didn't seem to work until I prefixed "sudo" to the commands. Then, my desktop disappeared (windows remained) and came back as it was before. As though no affect had taken.

Sorry if this is too simple a question...

Hans wrote:From the Plasma FAQ:

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You did not need to prefix "sudo" to the commands. That could have done more damage possibly. Try these commands:
Code: Select all
kquitapp plasma; rm $(kde4-config --localprefix)/share/config/plasma-appletsrc; plasma

Last edited by bcooksley on Wed May 13, 2009 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
ddoucette
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:You did not need to prefix "sudo" to the commands. That could have done more damage possibly. Try these commands:
Code: Select all
kquitapp plasma; rm $(kde4-config --localprefix)/share/config/plasma-appletsrc; plasma

Thanks! Yes, I'm now in good shape. Appreciate the assist.

Cheers,
D