This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Desktop icon jump/zoom effect in kde3.5?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
frisil
Registered Member
OS
Hi,
I just saw this on my GF's Pardus with kde3.5 : When I click an icon on the kde desktop to launch a program, the icons comes jumping / zooming toward me (see screenshot). This is a neat effect and I want it too (I'm also using kde3.5 on Mepis), but I haven't found how to set it up (comes pre-configured with Pardus).

Do you have any idea what program causes this and how to set it up in other distros?

The effect works with icons on the whole kde3.5 desktop and it also works with vesa drivers, so it's neither a dock nor compiz-related. It's not Pardus specific either, as I've seen it on other distros, too, but I was never able to figure out how to activate or deactivate it.

Can anyone help me?

I don't know how to upload a screenshot here, so here's the one I posted in another forum:
http://mepislovers.org/forums/attachmen ... 1238090111
Hans
Administrator
OS
The link doesn't work (guests don't have the permission to access the page).

There's a patch that replaces the zooming rectangle effect with icon zoom/fade effect, you can find it here. I'm not sure, but it's possible that some distros has adapted this patch.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
frisil
Registered Member
OS
Hans wrote:The link doesn't work (guests don't have the permission to access the page).

There's a patch that replaces the zooming rectangle effect with icon zoom/fade effect, you can find it here. I'm not sure, but it's possible that some distros has adapted this patch.

Yeah, I think that's it! However, I will not go through the pain of recompiling kde just for this effect! But I might, if someone can point me to a howto of how to include true desktop transparency also for the compiz-wallpaper plugin to work with different backgrounds on cube faces. I know that's possible, but I haven't found a suitable patch for newest kde3.5. If I get one, can I apply both patches?