This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

how to set kde3 file associations on kde4 system?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
zsaja
Registered Member
hi all,

i'm new here and hope i picked the right forum for my question. if not, please move it to somewhere more appropriate.

my the problem is the following: on my kubuntu 8.08 (kde4) system i still have some kde3 applications left, since these have not been ported to kde4 yet. one of these programs is a bibliography manager to organize literature metadata and associated pdfs. in particular, it allows you to browse through your collection of articles and open them with a click. it then opens the corresponding pdf with the default kde3 application configured for opening pdfs. i would like to use okular for viewing pdfs (right now the default seems to be gimp which is really not a good idea). so how could i change this?

note that my problem is not to set the usual kde4 default application for opening pdfs, that's all set and fine. but since i have only a few kde3 programs left and not a full kde3 system, in particular no kconfig or how it was called back then, i don't know where i could decide what the default pdf application visible for the kde3 programs is. i assume i have to edit some config file ... but which?

hope that somebody can help, any hint would be appreciated -

cheers,
zsaja
Ahmad Samir
Registered Member
OS
Generally file associations can be changed by right clicking on the file > properties, then click the wrench icon.

(You can reach the same configuration dialogue from the kde control centre (systemsettings)>advanced>file associations).
zsaja
Registered Member
medo3891 wrote:Generally file associations can be changed by right clicking on the file > properties, then click the wrench icon.

(You can reach the same configuration dialogue from the kde control centre (systemsettings)>advanced>file associations).

sorry, medo, but that's not what i was looking for: all file associations for kde4 are set up correctly, but the remaining kde3 applications don't follow these associations. they need their own config, and i don't know how to accomplish this.

zsaja
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Unfortunately, there is no way I know of to make KDE 3 follow the KDE 4 file associations. You may wish to try copying the contents of $(kde4-config --localprefix)/share/applnk to $(kde-config --localprefix)/share/applnk and then run kbuildsycoca.

Otherwise, you can use "kcontrol" to configure KDE 3, which includes file assocations.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
zsaja
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:Unfortunately, there is no way I know of to make KDE 3 follow the KDE 4 file associations. You may wish to try copying the contents of $(kde4-config --localprefix)/share/applnk to $(kde-config --localprefix)/share/applnk and then run kbuildsycoca.

Otherwise, you can use "kcontrol" to configure KDE 3, which includes file assocations.

thanks for your help, bcooksley.

unfortunately, on my system (kubuntu 8.10), both kde4-config --localprefix and kde-config --localprefix return .kde in my home dir, so i don't know how to follow your first suggestion. moreover, there is no kcontrol here anymore. :-(

does anybody know from which package i could install it in kubuntu without messing up my kde4 configuration? (apt-get install kcontrol says kcontrol is not available, but kdebase-workspace-bin or kdelibs4c2a should replace it. but both these packages are apparantly up to data on my system, without giving me kcontrol.)

best,
zsaja
ad_267
Registered Member
Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem, I assume you're using kBibTeX.

I had this problem using kBibTeX under Gnome and found a solution here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1154774

This worked to open PDFs with Evince, but unfortunately now that I'm using KDE 4.3 it isn't working to open them with Okular. I tried chaning evince.desktop to okular.desktop, kde4_okular.desktop, kde4/okular.desktop but none of these are working.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If you can run kcmshell, then it should be able to provide you with a list of installed KDE 3 control modules. If the file associations module is among them, you can launch it using that.

KDE Sysadmin
zsaja
Registered Member
ad_267 wrote:Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem, I assume you're using kBibTeX.

Yes, it's about KBibTeX. Unfortunately, I never figured it out, and nobody seems to know how this could be done.

On my laptop I found a workaround: On this machine, kbibtex always opened pdf files with kpdf. Since I didn't need kpdf anymore, I just replaced the kpdf executable with a link to okular, this works. On my desktop, however, I don't have kpdf, and I don't know how to install it again. Since I do want to use gimp from time to time, I still have no working solution here.

Best,
Zsaja
zsaja
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:If you can run kcmshell, then it should be able to provide you with a list of installed KDE 3 control modules. If the file associations module is among them, you can launch it using that.

kcmshell --list returns an empty list :-(
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Unfortunately, it appears Kubuntu removed them all, leaving you with no ability to configure KDE 3 File Associations. If you can find a KDE 3 application such as Konqueror, it may have it though.

KDE Sysadmin
evod
Registered Member
OS
Another KBibTex user here - with a working solution for Kubuntu 9.04.

The problem with my configuration was that whenever I wanted to view a document from within KBibTex Krita (a KDE3 program) opened up instead of my default KDE4 pdf viewer (Okular). Also when clicking on URLs in KBibTex and other KDE3 programs I was greeted with "Could not find service 'kfmclient'"

The solution:
cd /usr/share/applications/kde
sudo ln -s ../kde4/okular.desktop
sudo ln -s ../kde4/okularApplication_pdf.desktop
sudo ln -s ../kde4/kfmclient.desktop

Credits to where I found part of the solution:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... comments/6
zsaja
Registered Member
Unfortunately, this solution is not working for me - kbibtex still opens pdfs with the gimp :-(
I'm also using kubuntu 9.04 here, with kde 4.3 beta. any idea what could be the difference to your system, evod, and why it isn't working here?

zsaja
evod
Registered Member
OS
zsaja, I didn't have gimp installed before, but even now that I installed it it doesn't make a difference - my KBibTex still uses Okular, sorry.
ad_267
Registered Member
evod wrote:zsaja, I didn't have gimp installed before, but even now that I installed it it doesn't make a difference - my KBibTex still uses Okular, sorry.

This worked for me thanks. I'm using Kubuntu 9.10 with the default KDE 4.3 packages.
Eothred
Registered Member
OS
What about this one (for kbibtex): Double click on an entry in the bibtex-file. Go to external and click "browse". Then look for a pdf, right click it and choose properties. There you should be able to set the opening order for pdf's (click on the wrench). Same for html (create a local .html file if you don't have any) and so on for other filetypes... Worked for me, but I still had to make a soft link for kfmclient in /usr/share/applications/kde/ as explained above. Currently running Kubuntu 9.04.

One thing remains though, upon clicking doi-links (view document online), it insists to use bluefish (?). If I uninstall bluefish it opens in firefox even though I "told it" to use konqueror for html links. No idea why this is..