This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

blue taskbar... now black

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
PrestonC
Registered Member

blue taskbar... now black

Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:23 am
I just updated to the latest version of KDE, through Arch Linux. My taskbar is black, instead of the beautiful blue, :-)! Is there a reason for this or anyway to fix it?

Thanks,
Preston
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

RE: blue taskbar... now black

Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:15 am
This is because Compositing is disabled. Plasma would self composite itself, when KWin was not, and I believe this has now been fixed. If you enable compositing then you will have a blue taskbar.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
PrestonC
Registered Member

Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:57 am
I enabled compositing by running "nvidia-xconfig --composite", rebooted and logged into KDE.

With the theme Oxygen, the task manager remains black. With slim glow, I see the color of blue that I used to see before the update- when a window is open, in the task manager (which is translucent), I see a blue border around the taskbox for the window that is open- the same color that it used to be, except for the task manager.

Thanks for the help.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:52 am
For Oxygen to work you need to enable KWin compositing. This is done through System Settings > Desktop > Desktop Effects.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
PrestonC
Registered Member

Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:20 pm
I believe that it is enabled. Under the advanced tab in desktop effects, it says Compositing Type= Open GL. Everything seems to be enabled. Thanks.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:04 pm
bcooksley wrote:This is because Compositing is disabled. Plasma would self composite itself, when KWin was not, and I believe this has now been fixed. If you enable compositing then you will have a blue taskbar.

Actually, isn't it the other way around? Blue opaque panel = no compositing, "black" transparent panel = compositing (if you have a blue wallpaper, the panel will appear as pretty blue).

Also, see this thread: oxygen-panel-chang ... 36761.html

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
ash
Registered Member

Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:12 pm
i use kde 4.2.0 and 4.2.2 on arch linux and there is blue background. its blue with either composite enabled or disabled

do you use entirely the default oxygen theme ? if you change some parts of it (not only the color scheme one) in system settings advanced it becomes black