This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Adding keyboard shortcuts in KDE 4.2.1

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
JerryS
Registered Member
OS
Hello:

I am using KDE 4.2.1 under Fedora 10.

I'm trying to add new keyboard shortcuts (I'm familiar with them from emacs):
- Ctrl-a, to go to beginning of (current) line
- Ctrl-e, to go to end of line
- Ctrl-k, to kill the line after cursor
and I'm not sure how to go about it.

I'm using KDE for several years, still I don't know if I really have KControl installed under this version. I saw postings mentioning that a port for it in 4.x is still in the wings.

What I see now is:
System Settings->Keyboard and Mouse->Standard Keyboard Shorcuts
and I'm not sure how I can ADD new shortcuts by using this.

Thanks.
Hans
Administrator
OS
In KDE3 you could use "Input Actions" to add keyboard shortcut -> keyboard input. For example, Ctrl-A -> input 'Home'. However, I don't think it's possible in the current KDE4 version (you can check for yourself in System Settnigs -> Input Actions).

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
JerryS
Registered Member
OS
Hans wrote:In KDE3 you could use "Input Actions" to add keyboard shortcut -> keyboard input. For example, Ctrl-A -> input 'Home'. However, I don't think it's possible in the current KDE4 version (you can check for yourself in System Settnigs -> Input Actions).
Thanks, but your impression seems to be right, and there's any Help available on that page/panel.
JerryS
Registered Member
OS
Anyone on the feasibility of this in KDE 4.2? Thanks.