This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

systemsettings crash in 4.2.2

Tags: crash, systemsettings5, manjaro, kirigami, kirigami2-git, qml, community-repo crash, systemsettings5, manjaro, kirigami, kirigami2-git, qml, community-repo crash, systemsettings5, manjaro, kirigami, kirigami2-git, qml, community-repo
(comma "," separated)
ash
Registered Member

systemsettings crash in 4.2.2

Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:32 pm
i open systemsettings

click on the desktop icon

systemsettings window disappears from the screen and the crash window appears

Code: Select all
A Fatal Error Occurred
The application System Settings (systemsettings) crashed and caused the signal 6 (SIGABRT).
Please help us improve the software you use by filing a report at http://bugs.kde.org. Useful details include how to reproduce the error, documents that were loaded, etc.

when i run from konsole there is some text that appears when it crashes
bash-3.2$ systemsettings
bash-3.2$ Object::connect: No such slot KWin::KWinCompositingConfig::compositingModeChanged()
Object::connect:  (sender name:   'compositingType')
Object::connect:  (receiver name: 'KWinCompositingConfig')
systemsettings: main/context.c:1063: _mesa_initialize_context: Assertion `driverFunctions->NewTextureObject' failed.
KCrash: Application 'systemsettings' crashing...
sock_file=/home/ash/.kde4/socket-viridian/kdeinit4__0

this is a new install (new hard drive) of the same setup i allready had on the same computer. i have the previous drive and can run the previous setup if i want

in both systems i use xorg server 1.4 and xf86-video-intel 2.3

in the previous system i had trouble making effects to work with the newer xorg but they work perfect (right away !) with xorg 1.4

in the new system xorg 1.5 and 1.6 (and intel and intel-legacy drivers) have very bad performance with effects off and make the computer really crawl if i switch them on (and they work only with xrender and not gl). xorg 1.4 has ok performance but i cant get to the effects settings at all

in the previous system its kde 4.2.0

in the current its 4.2.2

mainboard is gigabyte ga-8ig1000mk with intel 865 graphics

i want to use xorg 1.4 and not newer if possible
ash
Registered Member

RE: systemsettings crash in 4.2.2

Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:16 pm
some 1 ?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:56 pm
There appears to be something wrong with either your X configuration or installation ( in particular Mesa, which provides 3D )

systemsettings: main/context.c:1063: _mesa_initialize_context: Assertion `driverFunctions->NewTextureObject' failed.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
ash
Registered Member

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:08 pm
i know i am trying to fix my xorg now

but i think there is a kde bug too - in the sense that there is no way to get into the settings at all. or is there way ? how ?

looks like it tries to apply something right away when i enter the desktop settings and not when i click apply
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:24 pm
Apart from manually modifying the configuration file, I do not see any way to configure Desktop Effects.

KDE Sysadmin
ash
Registered Member

Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:31 am
thats what i mean. kde has to provide way to do stuff like that. kinda like safe mode in windows 98

for now i found out more

xorg server 1.4 + libgl 7.0.3 - everything works with both opengl or xrender selected in advanced

xorg server 1.4 + libgl 7.4 - systemsettings crash + there is also glitch in the default kde splash with the 5 icons that fade in. but if i enabled effects before then they work ! (allthough with a bit lower performance) - with both opengl and xrender

untill now i dont understand 2 things

why does systemsettings apply something when i enter the desktop settings ? (and not when i actually change something and hit apply)

if effects work then everything is enough of ok (not fully ok cause there is noticable lower performance etc). then why systemsettings crashes ?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:39 am
System Settings crashes because of either a bug in libgl, or because libgl expects different behaviour from System Settings. If you are using non-opensource graphics drivers, it could be related to an incompatability between them and the newer libgl also.

Unfortunately, there is no way to provide a safe mode for this kind of thing, since you shouldn't try to stay alive if an error occurred, otherwise you could damage the users system or data.

KDE Sysadmin
ash
Registered Member

Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:31 am
every time i have problems with x then kde 4.2 begins to misbehave and crash etc. kde 3.5 just works and does not mind

why ? kde 3.5 does not use all that stuff. its kinda running all the time in safe mode

in safe mode i want kde 4 to not try anything that challenges the graphics system. to just use it the most basic possible way like kde 3 does

in addition - i see a bug in that settings are applied when i enter the settings panel and not when i actually change something and click apply
Zarin
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:48 am

Looking at the Mesa sources there is just no way this can happen under normal circumstances as the variable that the assert is testing is a function pointer that is always set on driver load. That means you are missing some libraries and X is failing to detect so (Please post the contents of your "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"), you are using a driver that has been incorrectly compiled, or you're missing some stupid setting in xorg.conf and X is trying to be smart and quietly ignoring it ('Load "glx"' and maybe "dri" in 'Section "Module"' comes to mind, but that's for libGLX not libGL... :- ).

Not even a "safe mode" can help you for this as the problem is with X/Mesa itself and ANY program that tries to access libGL will crash.

Last edited by Zarin on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:48 am
Please report this as a bug at bugs.kde.org with regard to the automatically changing control module.

KDE Sysadmin
ash
Registered Member

Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:08 pm
Zarin wrote:Not even a "safe mode" can help you for this as the problem is with X/Mesa itself and ANY program that tries to access libGL will crash.

in safe mode i would expect programs to live without NewTextureObject or other advanced grphics stuff
Zarin
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:31 am
ash wrote:in safe mode i would expect programs to live without NewTextureObject or other advanced grphics stuff

The crash was in the initialization function. Initialization requires "NewTextureObject" to be set and everything requires initialization.
ash
Registered Member

Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:12 pm
explain me more about

what exactly happens there ?

why it does not happen when i use other kde applications or go to network settings ? (all of that with the broken xorg) - i.e. why does desktop settings need this initialization to display the *settings window* ? (i'd understand if it would crash when i change someting and click apply)

why in kde 3 i can go everywhere and nothing crashes ? (with the broken xorg)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:06 pm
I can only guess, but it is probably used for detecting if compositing can be used or not.
The reason it doesn't crash is because only that module contains the code that causes the crash, each control module is seperate.

KDE Sysadmin
ash
Registered Member

Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:32 pm
if so

can this check be done when the user hits apply or atleas when he tries to enable the effects checkbox ? the way its now blocks access to other places in the desktop settings (like screen saver)

to zarin - in the safe mode which i want all effects are disabled and this check is not done either. the user can enable effects and click apply but nothing happens until he makes logout and login to standard mode