This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Layout flaws and inconsistencies

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
aapgorilla
Registered Member
OS

RE: Layout flaws and inconsistencies

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:54 pm
Kryten2X4B wrote:As it should be, but I saw nothing mentioned in the original post about the poster using cooker. It said Mandriva 2009.1 RC 2, which should be considered almost ready for prime time.

Mandriva RC's are just development snapshots, not actual RC's, meant to attract more people to install them (that's what one (now former) mdv employee once said), version freeze is in place by the time of rc though (or maybe somewhere between rc1 and 2 ;-) )

btw: I think all the users following the development of mandriva 2009.1 agreed to switch to qt4.5, even if this meant an increase is some graphical glitches like we see here, there are much more benefits

Last edited by aapgorilla on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
melkart
Registered Member
OS
Today I tried the KDE4-UNSTABLE-Live.i686-1.2.70-Build1.1 CD which I found here. It has KDE 4.2.70. I noticed a few things and took screenshots.

Dolphin: The text under the icons is cropped. This is with the default widget style "Oxygen". When I switch to "Plastique", I don't get this problem.

I also don't like that the menu bar ("File", "Edit", "View", "Go", etc.) begins so far to the right, thus leaving empty space to its left.

I mentioned this before but I am not sure if I made myself clear then. Here I show the panel in zoom:

It's the default size. One can see that the icons, taskbar entries etc. are not centered vertically. Instead there is empty space at the top. Above the entry in the taskbar, there is five pixels space at the top belonging to the panel, but only two pixels space below.

Konqueror:

The "new tab" and "close tab" buttons are positioned too low, they are unaligned with the top edge of the tab. But even the "close tab" button for each individual tab is positioned lower than the text of the tab handle.

The vertical arrow of the "Download Manager" icon is cropped.

The top of the whole window is drawn with a weird light "shadow" (I don't know a better word for it). I don't think it is intentional, it looks odd. I took a zoom screenshot of it in order to make it more visible:

Last edited by melkart on Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanamo
Registered Member
OS
i hope kde devs read this, im also annoyed with the excess spaces on the panel... i always resize my panel's height just to remove the margin.